PDA

View Full Version : New Uke Build In Process (Ono AYC/Myrtle 16" Concert)

Ukulele Eddie
10-22-2015, 07:10 PM
I'm excited to soon be receiving a 16" Ono Concert by luthier David Ingalls. We wanted something a bit different than what I already have, so we went with an Alaskan yellow cedar top on a stunning myrtle body. Appointments include ziricote fretboard and bridge, sound hole, Port Oxford cedar neck modeled after the Collings neck shape (my preferred neck), and a "stinger" stripe on neck.

Below are a few in-progress pics, though David tells me it's even better looking in-person as the pictures don't quite capture it. :drool:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5792/22212997530_dcb6bb4195_c.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5769/22214152329_fce279c79a_c.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/773/22374993346_8a9557be59_c.jpg

Should be done in a month or so. Very much looking forward to it!

mds725
10-22-2015, 07:14 PM
Congratulations! That myrtle is very cool, and Ono ukuleles have gotten great writeups in this forum. I'm working with David on a baritone that's still in the planning stages.

DownUpDave
10-22-2015, 11:31 PM
Great looking piece of myrtle Eddie. Love the neck with the stringer and curly myrtle headstock overlay. I have a sneeking suspicion that rossette is a knock out as well. I am in line for a 16" concert as well. David is such a great guy to work with. I am now like a cat on a hot tin roof.............waiting is hard.

Jim Hanks
10-23-2015, 01:49 AM
Wow, wow,wow! I'm also looking forward to my Ono baritone build which will have a myrtle body and softwood top. Haven't decided on the top yet. Could be spruce but that cedar looks really nice.

iDavid
10-23-2015, 03:28 AM
Just beautiful!

I on the waiting list also, going for a concert.

Ukulele Eddie
10-23-2015, 03:41 AM
@mds725, @DownUpDave, @JimHanks - Thank you. I see you are all men of impeccable taste (must be good looking, too!) -- I look forward to seeing your Ono's when done and hearing your thoughts.

DownUpDave
10-23-2015, 03:49 AM
@mds725, @DownUpDave, @JimHanks - Thank you. I see you are all men of impeccable taste (must be good looking, too!) -- I look forward to seeing your Ono's when done and hearing your thoughts.

We have a "Mutual Admiration Society" on the go here...........let me know your sizes and I will order the tee shirts :shaka:

wayfarer75
10-23-2015, 04:15 AM
Looking good! That myrtle is beautiful. No doubt David's right about it looking better in person. Wood usually does.

ukuleleden
10-23-2015, 04:27 AM
Very, very nice! Can't wait to see and hear it when it is finished!

Ukulele Eddie
10-23-2015, 04:31 AM
We have a "Mutual Admiration Society" on the go here...........let me know your sizes and I will order the tee shirts :shaka:

Haha.. ONOMAS. I love it.

hollisdwyer
10-23-2015, 05:13 AM
You said the word, stunning! Interesting scale length. What tuning are you going to use and what strings?

UkieOkie
10-23-2015, 05:19 AM
What excitement. I've never had a custom Uke built but the anticipation of waiting on something special like that is torturous joy.

natchez
10-23-2015, 06:17 AM
That is one sweet looking body, neck and fretboard!

bunnyrawr
10-23-2015, 06:23 AM
Absolutely gorgeous uke, I can't wait to hear what it sounds like!

Jim Hanks
10-23-2015, 12:17 PM

I'm in! Medium . :nana:

saltytri
10-23-2015, 12:44 PM
Me too! ;)

DownUpDave
10-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Me too! ;)

Too funny.........Your's will say........... "The Grand Poobah of ONOMAS " :p

Camsuke
10-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Sweet choice Eddie, what a little ripper!

rappsy
10-23-2015, 01:17 PM
Me too! ;)

YAY for Ono. YAY for David.

TheCraftedCow
10-23-2015, 01:25 PM
You have said nothing about the string tuners. I have two myrtle ukes...one by Mike Pereira and the other by Les Stansell. Both are fitted with PEGHEDS. Since I am a distributor for them, to help you keep it as light as possible and still be geared for tuners, I will sell you a set at my cost. I prefer the ones with a 19mm shaft length rather than the 27.5 length which sticks out the back farther. check out www.ukeeku.com to see what he thinks about them, or you may get some chatter about them as a result of my "blatant attempt at a sale" Again like I said, my cost is your cost, so I don't see how someone can yip and fuss about that. Send me a private message if you want to know more, or get a set.
Grace and Peace
Bill Thompson

billten
10-23-2015, 02:10 PM
I prefer the ones with a 19mm shaft length rather than the 27.5 length which sticks out the back farther.

I have those short shaft pegheds in my kinnard and i really like the way they look also. +1 Bill

Katz-in-Boots
10-23-2015, 04:24 PM
That is a beautiful looking instrument already. I am also on the list for a concert - curly mango. Looks like there's quite a few ahead of me on the list, but I believe it'll be worth waiting for.

Ukulele Eddie
10-23-2015, 05:49 PM
You said the word, stunning! Interesting scale length. What tuning are you going to use and what strings?

Likely Southcoast. Still exploring options. Was considering Low G (Linear C) but Dirk is steering us toward D to E flat (I play by myself vs. part of a group and do mostly fingerstyle). Will be fun to experiment as I've got a lot to learn about other tunings.

Ukulele Eddie
10-23-2015, 05:52 PM
You have said nothing about the string tuners. I have two myrtle ukes...one by Mike Pereira and the other by Les Stansell. Both are fitted with PEGHEDS. Since I am a distributor for them, to help you keep it as light as possible and still be geared for tuners, I will sell you a set at my cost. I prefer the ones with a 19mm shaft length rather than the 27.5 length which sticks out the back farther. check out www.ukeeku.com (http://www.ukeeku.com) to see what he thinks about them, or you may get some chatter about them as a result of my "blatant attempt at a sale" Again like I said, my cost is your cost, so I don't see how someone can yip and fuss about that. Send me a private message if you want to know more, or get a set.
Grace and Peace
Bill Thompson

I am a big fan of Pegheds and very much appreciate the offer (have them on several ukes). In this case my luthier offered another geared tuner included in the cost.

Recstar24
10-23-2015, 06:51 PM

Don't forget me ;) I'll take a large in Myrtle.

Ukulele Eddie
11-07-2015, 05:06 PM
A few more photos of the build:

David did a nice myrtle inlay in the bridge:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/692/22843133882_2f57e129d4_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ANz2RU)

And stick that sucker on real good using a homemade tool:
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5718/22233894094_87814f5eee_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/zSJw6C)

Very excited to see and play this baby in a couple of weeks!

DownUpDave
11-07-2015, 11:09 PM
I knew my sneeking suspicion was right........the rosette is a knock out. My my, my that is going to be one beautiful looking ukulele. Some of the nicest, curliest myrtle I have seen, very exciting.

Ukulele Eddie
11-08-2015, 12:14 PM
I knew my sneeking suspicion was right........the rosette is a knock out. My my, my that is going to be one beautiful looking ukulele. Some of the nicest, curliest myrtle I have seen, very exciting.

Thanks, DownUpDave!

Yeah, that myrtle is something. I'm such a sucker for nicely figured wood!

CdnSouthpaw
11-09-2015, 10:16 AM
Wow, it's coming along great!

ukuleleden
11-09-2015, 10:37 AM
That's a generous offer, Bill. I opted for the Pegheads on my custom Tenor Fluke build and absolutely love them. They're extremely precise and significantly stable.

Jim Hanks
11-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Likely Southcoast. Still exploring options. Was considering Low G (Linear C) but Dirk is steering us toward D to E flat (I play by myself vs. part of a group and do mostly fingerstyle). Will be fun to experiment as I've got a lot to learn about other tunings.

Keep us posted on that. I have a 16" Coco I've been wondering about putting in D (reentrant). Linear Eb sounds like an interesting alternative too.

Ukulele Eddie
11-20-2015, 04:58 PM
Below is a sneak peak of my 16" Ono. Please note that it is tuned up a step per an initial recommendation from Dirk of Southcoast Strings.

Some people say I look and sound a lot like Kalei, I do admit there is a resemblance. ;)

https://vimeo.com/146447159

DownUpDave
11-20-2015, 11:40 PM
Below is a sneak peak of my 16" Ono. Please note that it is tuned up a step per an initial recommendation from Dirk of Southcoast Strings.

Some people say I look and sound a lot like Kalei, I do admit there is a resemblance. ;)

https://vimeo.com/146447159

Yea I can see the resemblance, though you are a bit better looking..............but Kalei plays a bit better than you.....just a bit.

Lovely instrument, looks and sounds great. What SC strings are on it, the LML- WB???

Rakelele
11-21-2015, 01:04 AM
Congratulations Eddie, great looking and great playing! :)

How come your Uke gets to be featured by the talented guys at HMS?

Jim Hanks
11-21-2015, 01:49 AM
How come your Uke gets to be featured by the talented guys at HMS?
Was wondering that too. I saw another post where David is in Hawaii. I wonder if he's working distribution deal like some other builders I've seen recently. Pure speculation.

D tuning sounds great on that guy. I'm also curious about the string set. Might have to get a set for my Coco.

sam13
11-21-2015, 02:11 AM
Fabulous Uke. And playing. Kalei who?!!!

Ukulele Eddie
11-21-2015, 07:37 AM
Thanks, Guys. David made an impromptu trip to Oahu for the Ukulele Guild show. He took my concert and the baritone he recently posted. Andrew checked them out, so that's how it got onto a video.

The strings on it are Light Gauge, Single Wound. I also ordered a set with the No Wound, but those haven't been tested yet. These were based on recommendations from Dirk as I was considering setting it up "Low G" (linear C). Here was his recommendation when I said I primarily play finger style/chord melody and solo (vs. group):

"Then I’d tune up from C. Otherwise, you’re looking at a double wound set, and possibly a heavy one, as with the shorter 16” scale, you need heavier strings than a typical 17” Tenor (for equivalent tension for fingerstyle – not to drive the soundboard). It’s not that you can’t use the heavier sets, but I’d start at the other end of the spectrum with a Light Gauge set – we have them in No Wound, and the new Single Wound set (very nice also) was just released yesterday. You’ll have much better clarity and response with these lighter gauges / higher tunings."

ukuleleden
11-21-2015, 08:13 AM
Beautiful! Nice choice for sure!