Yes.....Another string question / LoPrinzi owners please read

jjdejd

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on a string mfg for my LoPrinzi mahogany concert. I recently received it and don't care for the mfg strings. I think the tension is to high. I had a Sailor Brand / spruce top and changed to Martin M600's. I really liked the change, because it a allowed for a softer feel and kept the volume of the OEM strings. So, I decided to change my new Uke to the same M600's. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed that the volume has dropped significantly, but the soft feel is there. I'm guessing the reason is the spruce vs mahogany top? Anyway, any suggestions for string mfg with a soft touch and a little more bark? Thanks.

From years of tweaking with strings to get the best tone/tension/volume equation, I've basically come to the conclusion that since all ukuleles are not built exactly the same the correct string tension is not the same.

In other words your LoPrinzi needs a certain amount of tension to drive the soundboard, too little tension results in less vibration and therefore less sound. Likewise, too much tension also prevents the soundboard from freely vibrating as it squashes the vibration (not sure if this is the correct explanation) and results in more of a thuddy sound.

All things being equal, tension is generally based on string diameter. So if you are looking at fluorocarbon strings a .020 diameter will have less tension than a .022 diameter which will be less than a .024 diameter.

It is always good to try different strings, and most people here can give you great advice, especially with the particular ukulele you have, but you should have an idea why this works and that doesn't.

And to make things worse, generally fatter strings generally sound fatter and thinner strings generally sound thinner.

Everything will be a give and take balance.

John

Sometimes you just have to experiment with strings to find the right ones for your ears, playing style and preferred feel (e.g., I don't care for overly thick and hard strings). I'd try Southcoast Light Gauge and Light Mediums. I'd also try Aquila Reds, but they are quite different (papyrus like feel, less variation in diameter across strings, red color doesn't always look the best).

I had also used Fremont Blacklines on my Loprinzi and liked the sound, so there was something about Blacklines' feel that wasn't quite to my preference.

Thanks for all the feedback. Im glad that strings are cheap. I guess it will be trial and error.

I'm looking for advice on a string mfg for my LoPrinzi mahogany concert. I recently received it and don't care for the mfg strings. I think the tension is to high. I had a Sailor Brand / spruce top and changed to Martin M600's. I really liked the change, because it a allowed for a softer feel and kept the volume of the OEM strings. So, I decided to change my new Uke to the same M600's. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed that the volume has dropped significantly, but the soft feel is there. I'm guessing the reason is the spruce vs mahogany top? Anyway, any suggestions for string mfg with a soft touch and a little more bark? Thanks.
Why not text Donna Loprinzi @ 727 672 8746. She ships.
She sells her brand of floracarbon strings that come on all her ukuleles.
I love them. I have changed most of my ukuleles to them. She also has low G in wound or floracarbon.
You can’t go wrong.

Top Bottom