Midnight Special Tenor Banjo-Ukulele Review

martinfan

Reaction score
I received my Tenor Banjo-Ukulele and present here my review.

First, my reference point.

In order to judge the validity of the review, the reader must know to what I compare the quality of the instrument to, as I am not a ukulele expert, nor long term ukulele player, but a long term guitar player who has owned a number of fine instruments over the years, and a few clunkers that were quickly retuned or sold at a loss, especially early on, falling for advertising hype.

My reference point, specifically is the instruments I have owned, or those I have tested and played.

The most expensive guitar I have owned was the Martin OM 42. ($3800) For me, this is the epitome of quality, so much so, that like others, I was afraid to play it and sold it! I currently own a custom Martin 15, high gloss, gorgeous Mahogany, of which will never be sold. I had my six children each put their signature inside of it, as it is a lifetime purchase, with not only beauty and sound (I play it daily) but sentimental value.

I don't have a wide experience of ukuleles, but have played and tested some, while doing a lot of research on them.

I own the Pono AD2 Cedar top and find it to be of high quality in sound and construction, as well as beauty. It appears that its value exceeds its price tag, should it have been manufactured in the US or Canada.

I have tested a number of ukulele banjos, ranging from $299 to about $600, in four stores within my State. I think one was even more than this, in a specialty store, that I liked. I also went through the myriad of reviews online and at You Tube.

The Midnight Special, handmade by Hugh Hunter of Canada, represents a marriage of craftsmanship and musician experience and insight. It is head and shoulders above the best that I sampled.

It has a beautiful sound, louder than I had prepared myself for (a plus) with that true 'banjo' sound I ha hoped for.

The construction is impressive, with the attention to detail that a hand-made (realistically, it is a 'de facto' custom, customized to a musician's liking) using top quality (and expensive) components. The wood is beautiful, the tuners smooth (and strong) and the feel substantial.

The neck is straight, the action low, and the instrument beautiful to the eye.

The instrument far exceeds the cost and could sell for 3 or more times the amount. Given the Canadian-US dollar exchange, it was less than anything I sampled, yet of far greater quality.

Had it been 3 or 4 times the cost, I would not have been able to purchase it given my economics today, but had I seen it in a store, with a price tag of, let's say, $1600, I would not have been surprised and would have looked for the tag where it states the origin of manufacturing. Had it been advertised as "hand made", the price tag would not have made me blink. I would have sighed to myself, and thought, 'If I could, I would...' and looked for one in my price range. Last year, I began a business on my own, and immediately went from a good salary to zero. Nothing says "spend money!" like an older man who begins his own company in a market where few have even heard of his line of work! Yet, I am progressing, doing good work, but still making time to "smell the roses", learn my ukulele, Ubass and now, the Banjo-ukulele.

It's quality is something I feel awkward about. It's not some great bargain from a nameless, huge manufacture who overcharges anyway; it is extreme craftsmanship from a man who's own signature and name rests upon his work.

Why isn't sold for far more?

Perhaps it is that Mr. Hunter feels such kinship with musicians that he covers his costs and makes only a small amount on his labor so that others may embrace and enjoy that which has enriched his life; I don't know, but whatever his reasoning, I am stunned at the quality and blessed to own another "life time purchase."

I don't know, but I know it is one of those special "buy it for life" quality item that I am thrilled and proud to own and will leave it to one of my children who best fall in love with playing.

I didn't include the price here, as it is not an advertisement for them, but it is a testament to quality so that if one wishes to look into his instruments, they may at midnight special.ca

unnamed-1.jpgunnamed-2.jpgunnamed.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the review... I keep trying to convince myself I don't need a banjo uke but in reading this, I'm feeling quite tempted. Are there sound samples?

Glad you're enjoying it,
Lesley

I am glad you liked it. I struggled a bit with what some might charge for it, due to its high quality and country of origin...guess work!

I hope to get a sound sample put together this weekend!

I have MP3 sound sample of it. It is very short and compact so the size is small, but it lets the listener know just how much this sounds like a banjo, and the impressive projection of volume. I used only the Zoom h1 recorder that I use for lectures (speech only, not music), so there is no echo, reverb, etc but I hope it suffices for the sample.

https://soundcloud.com/phyatt1962/midnightspecialmp3

I continue to be so pleasantly surprised at the high quality craftsmanship from Midnightspecial.ca

It is a beautiful instrument and as I learn the ukulele, I hope to do it justice.

I need to learn how to play it, as my right hand naturally muffles the guitar and ukulele, but this is different.

Do most use finger picks??

I am having fun.

The second track is the Pono tenor with the Banjoele with "Hesitation Blues" replete with lots of mistakes! I admire those of you who put together such beautiful tracks and keep perfect pace.

https://soundcloud.com/phyatt1962/hesitation-blues-wav At least it gives you a longer sample for the sound. Midnight special.ca has link to their music....beautiful music

Last edited:
Thank you for both your indepth initial review and the follow up with sound sample. It was very well done and gave a great sense of what this banjolele is all about. I did enjoy the sound sample and as you said it really does have a nice banjo sound. Kinda important when buying one of these but something that I think gets over looked.

I have the good fortune to live just a few hours away from the builder. One of my uke playing buddies has ordered one and we will be doing a road trip to meet the builder and pick it up. Those that know me are probably scratching their heads and wondering why I am not buying one as well, it might just happen. In the very least Tim said I could play his and if I fall in love I can always order one. I have not devoted the time to learn clawhammer, Tim has. But if I had one I would then have the motivation to learn it..........we can justify anything can't we. :p I really enjoyed your recording of "Hesitation Blue", excellent sound and feel, you are a very performer.

Great review thanks agains.r

Last edited:
You're welcome, Dave.

It is always a bit 'out there' for an amateur to put up a song and I recognize the roughness and such, but at least it showed the sound projection as "Hesitation Blues" was ukulele and banjo-ukulele with no guitar sound.

I am so very pleased with it, even as I am learning more and more how to best play it. It is interesting to hear with a metal thumb pick!

Congratulations and welcome to the Banjo Ukulele club! Sounds like you did your homework to get a good result. Every self-respecting ukulele player owes it to themselves to at least own one banjo uke in their lifetime :p

Update: I brought the ukulele banjo to church to show an experienced musician. He was impressed with a hand made, hand crafted, made in Canada quality instrument and was shocked at the value. To even include the padded case with the price is something special.

I am learning where my hand goes and now trying metal fingerpicks with that strong "banjo" sound. The instrument has terrific and surprising volume. Since I hand mute on the guitar, I am learning to adjust for the banjo. The volume is especially loud with strumming, with or without the thumb pick.

Anyone else use metal fingerpicks?

I play finger style guitar but never learned to use finger picks. I really need to learn to use them and get comfortable, though the volume of the banjo-ukulele is very high without picks.

Any advice other than "just keep at it and don't give up"? :rolleyes:

Interesting...the more I play it, the more I am leaning towards real Banjo style sound .

I started with just banjo strum in the background and it sounds nice, but I got some metal fingerpicks and am doing some slight 'hammer' style attempts and the sound projection is strong.

I also continue to be impressed with the 'real wood' feel.

It is a unique feeling to have a hand made instrument within my hands knowing I am handling quality.

I had, but sold, my Martin OM 42. It was way out of my price league and I would not play it out of fear of nicking it! I spoke with others who reported the same feeling and action of selling theirs, too, due to fear.

Handling the OM 42 'felt' like quality. I recognize how subjective this is, and that talented reviewers can do a better job describing it but I feel this way about the hand made banjo ukulele.

There is something special about it and should I meet up with an experienced banjo player, I am likely to hear as to why.

Although I struggle with the fingerpicks, the sound is real banjo like.

Time for the Steve Martin school of banjo! BanjoUkes indeed bring an extra dose of fun to uke playing circles, at least most of the time... There was one banjo-uke hater who gave me some resistance when I (and I quote) "had the audacity to bring that noise box here tonight". That was was in response to when I took out my Firefly for the dueling-banjos song, but after that response I made sure to keep it out for a few more songs, LOL! Ever hear a banjo uke performing "Tears in heaven"...:p

Top Bottom