New Soprano ~ Martin 0XK or Bruko #6 ?

kw1998

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm new here, and I couldn't find an older thread like this. I've played the uke a while now(couple of years) and own a mid range soprano(all solid but cheap, made by blue moon), and another mid range Ohana tenor. I'm looking to get a nicer soprano, and have been looking at the Bruko #6, or the laminate Martin 0XK. I realise solids are so say nicer sounding than laminates, but what would your opinions be on these two ukes ?

Cheers
kw1998

I'm kinda partial to the OXK. It can play loud and soft, has good tone and bullet proof humidity-wise.

Played them both, the Martin is nice and the Bruko is awesome. Not sure the Bruko can be beat for $225 or so! Fit, finish, and tone of the Bruko is super sweet!

I've owned a few Bruko sopranos (still have one) and owned an OXK. They are a different type of uke. I preferred the sound of the OXK overall.

Petey

We carry Brukos so I could be biased. I'm impressed with there overall fit and finish and I love their tone. The Bruko sound reminds me of some of the earlier builders as they use wood for their nut and saddle and a one piece fingerboard/neck on the #6.
This isn't a 6 but this little soprano sure sounds sweet

I'm kinda partial to the OXK. It can play loud and soft, has good tone and bullet proof humidity-wise.
the humidity thing with the 0XK is why I was interested. Love the solid mahogany and maple of the Bruko though

I've owned a few Bruko sopranos (still have one) and owned an OXK. They are a different type of uke. I preferred the sound of the OXK overall.

Petey
Hi Petey, thanks for the info, I believe I've watched some of your Bruko videos. They look to be great fun ;) could you possibly explain the difference in sound ? Cheers from the UK :)

That's nice playing! Those brukos do look lovely :)

I have a Bruko concert large body cedar/rw that is sweet. Haven't tried their soprano. I have the Martin OXK that I really love the sound and feel and I think it is great.

Tough call. I have a Brueko #2 with Worth Browns (the all maple full size soprano) and the OXK with Martin M600 strings. I have strap buttons on both - even took the OXK in with me when I had them installed on the Brueko so the placement would be the same, and they have the same strap.

As Petey says, they really are two different animals, and the sound is different for each. To be honest, I would rate the Brueko as a better sounding uke.

But to me, the bigger difference is how easily they can be played. I can play the OXK for hours, but not the Brueko. Even though they have similar strung tension, my hand gets tired more easily when playing the Brueko, which has higher action.

So, higher action, better tone and more fatigue. Or, lower action and easier playability, nearly the same tone, and less worries about dings, heat and humidity. I am glad I have both so I don't have to choose.

Last edited:
LOVE my 0XK. It's my go to uke most of the time and usually gets picked for uke jams over the half dozen (or so) on the rack. Plays nice, sounds nice, looks nice.

Hi Petey, thanks for the info, I believe I've watched some of your Bruko videos. They look to be great fun ;) could you possibly explain the difference in sound ? Cheers from the UK :)

Brukos come with Pyramid strings and I left these strings on the Brukos but they sound a bit "brittle" (as Ken Middleton stated many moons back). I agree with him. Though, I never took the time to try other strings on my Brukos.

Brukos have a strident sound and that was good for certain songs of mine (Ye Olde Trip to Nottingham and Sitar Lights), but I prefer the warmer sound of the OXK (Sexy but poor - a Berlin song of mine).

I just prefer the warmer, softer sound of the OXK.

Petey

the humidity thing with the 0XK is why I was interested. Love the solid mahogany and maple of the Bruko though

kw1998, I own 5 Brukos. At least one is out all the time in my living room as they are my favorite ukes. Radiator heat in the cold winter and I take no special care humidifying the Brukos. Not a single problem with any of them.

Brukos come with Pyramid strings and I left these strings on the Brukos but they sound a bit "brittle" (as Ken Middleton stated many moons back). I agree with him. Though, I never took the time to try other strings on my Brukos.

Brukos have a strident sound and that was good for certain songs of mine (Ye Olde Trip to Nottingham and Sitar Lights), but I prefer the warmer sound of the OXK (Sexy but poor - a Berlin song of mine).

I just prefer the warmer, softer sound of the OXK.

Petey
Cheers Petey,
I heard about the dreaded Pyramid strings, a bit of a marmite affair .... What if I added the new S1 Martin into the mix, what would be the choice then ? Cheers :)

kw1998, I own 5 Brukos. At least one is out all the time in my living room as they are my favorite ukes. Radiator heat in the cold winter and I take no special care humidifying the Brukos. Not a single problem with any of them.
thanks for that info, I guess it depends on your climate :)

Top Bottom