Recuperatng the Uke Way

SteveZ

Reaction score
Well, it's been 11 days since spinal (lumbar) fusion surgery and currently on "house arrest" until the surgeon paroles me back to open society. In the meantime, it's created a lot of instrument time.

Interestingly, the surgeon placed a "5 pound maximum" lifting limit on me from day of surgery until ???. That's made instrument choice a challenge. The solid-body on is at/over the limit. Ditto for my tenor guitar, tenor banjo, and GoodTime banjo uke. So, the best choices (wanted two at easy reach) became my six-string tenor uke and SideKick banjo uke.

After several non-stop play days, am so glad I have the six-string and the SideKick. They have proved to be a blast as everyday, many-hour instruments - never tired of either. They have kept my spirits high and never failed to handle the abuse I call playing.

Music is indeed soothing this savage beast. Thanks, Lanikai and Sidekick!

I'm in the same boat! 9 days out from surgery on my leg.this will be my first holiday season since starting Uke so I'm learning a lot of Christmas Carols.

Well, it's been 11 days since spinal (lumbar) fusion surgery and currently on "house arrest" until the surgeon paroles me back to open society. In the meantime, it's created a lot of instrument time.

Interestingly, the surgeon placed a "5 pound maximum" lifting limit on me from day of surgery until ???. That's made instrument choice a challenge. The solid-body on is at/over the limit. Ditto for my tenor guitar, tenor banjo, and GoodTime banjo uke. So, the best choices (wanted two at easy reach) became my six-string tenor uke and SideKick banjo uke.

After several non-stop play days, am so glad I have the six-string and the SideKick. They have proved to be a blast as everyday, many-hour instruments - never tired of either. They have kept my spirits high and never failed to handle the abuse I call playing.

Music is indeed soothing this savage beast. Thanks, Lanikai and Sidekick!

I'm in the same boat! 9 days out from surgery on my leg.this will be my first holiday season since starting Uke so I'm learning a lot of Christmas Carols.

Good luck for a speedy recovery gents, I'm sure the healing power of the ukulele will see you through!

Guys, I wish you both a speedy and complete recovery. Playing ukulele is the best way to heal, IMHO. I hope we see pics of both of you up and around and playing soon!

Good luck to both for a satisfactory recovery :)

I used the "forced inactivity" period after a hernia operation almost two years ago to learn to play 5th's tuning, ultimately for mandolin and/or tenor guitar and 4-string banjo, but the learning process was completed successfully on a Mahalo soprano pineapple fitted with Aquila strings ... still often my go-to choice for familiarising myself with a new tune :)

Yes, speedy recovery to you both!!

Top Bottom