PDA

View Full Version : Recuperatng the Uke Way

SteveZ
10-23-2015, 07:45 AM
Well, it's been 11 days since spinal (lumbar) fusion surgery and currently on "house arrest" until the surgeon paroles me back to open society. In the meantime, it's created a lot of instrument time.

Interestingly, the surgeon placed a "5 pound maximum" lifting limit on me from day of surgery until ???. That's made instrument choice a challenge. The solid-body on is at/over the limit. Ditto for my tenor guitar, tenor banjo, and GoodTime banjo uke. So, the best choices (wanted two at easy reach) became my six-string tenor uke and SideKick banjo uke.

After several non-stop play days, am so glad I have the six-string and the SideKick. They have proved to be a blast as everyday, many-hour instruments - never tired of either. They have kept my spirits high and never failed to handle the abuse I call playing.

Music is indeed soothing this savage beast. Thanks, Lanikai and Sidekick!

whistleman123
10-23-2015, 09:30 AM
I'm in the same boat! 9 days out from surgery on my leg.this will be my first holiday season since starting Uke so I'm learning a lot of Christmas Carols.

Camsuke
10-23-2015, 10:44 AM
Well, it's been 11 days since spinal (lumbar) fusion surgery and currently on "house arrest" until the surgeon paroles me back to open society. In the meantime, it's created a lot of instrument time.

Interestingly, the surgeon placed a "5 pound maximum" lifting limit on me from day of surgery until ???. That's made instrument choice a challenge. The solid-body on is at/over the limit. Ditto for my tenor guitar, tenor banjo, and GoodTime banjo uke. So, the best choices (wanted two at easy reach) became my six-string tenor uke and SideKick banjo uke.

After several non-stop play days, am so glad I have the six-string and the SideKick. They have proved to be a blast as everyday, many-hour instruments - never tired of either. They have kept my spirits high and never failed to handle the abuse I call playing.

Music is indeed soothing this savage beast. Thanks, Lanikai and Sidekick!

I'm in the same boat! 9 days out from surgery on my leg.this will be my first holiday season since starting Uke so I'm learning a lot of Christmas Carols.

Good luck for a speedy recovery gents, I'm sure the healing power of the ukulele will see you through!

Nickie
10-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Guys, I wish you both a speedy and complete recovery. Playing ukulele is the best way to heal, IMHO. I hope we see pics of both of you up and around and playing soon!

kypfer
10-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Good luck to both for a satisfactory recovery :)

I used the "forced inactivity" period after a hernia operation almost two years ago to learn to play 5th's tuning, ultimately for mandolin and/or tenor guitar and 4-string banjo, but the learning process was completed successfully on a Mahalo soprano pineapple fitted with Aquila strings ... still often my go-to choice for familiarising myself with a new tune :)

Ukulele Eddie
10-24-2015, 07:53 AM
Yes, speedy recovery to you both!!