NUD: Ono Pineapple

WCBarnes

Reaction score
I received my Ono ukulele on Monday and finally put it down long enough to take some photos. They are not near the quality that Hodge usually posts so it absolutely looks better in person.

The body is between a concert and soprano in size and the scale is 14.75 inches. The back and sides are Bastogne or Paradox walnut, an unusual hybrid that grows in Northern California. The top is Honduras mahogany. The binding is bubinga and the fretboard is Macassar ebony. It has Gotoh UPT tuners (they are wonderful!).

The uke is amazingly light and really sings! It currently strung with Kamaka strings. I'm not really sure about them yet, but will give them a couple more weeks then put on some Southcoasts. The neck is perfect! I reached out to David last year based solely on the reviews of other UU members and they did not steer me wrong! This is a wonderful instrument and a joy to play! I see that several people are in the cue to get one of David's ukes. You will not be disappointed!

Ono11.jpgOno12.jpgOno13.jpgOno14.jpgOno15.jpg

A real beauty WC. I really love Davids ukes... They are all truly unique and beautiful instruments. Im somewhere on his build list and not sure what I want yet but cant wait until the process begins!
Cheers and congrats on a fine purchase!

Very, very nice, that walnut is gorgeous. The pineapple shape looks like it would have good volume and resonance. Congratulations on a beautiful instrument.

Another clean, elegant looking Ono. Hope the love continues for you.
(waits patiently for her name to come up...)

I like pineapples in general and had considered it at one point for my build but I wanted a longer 16" scale that doesn't work for that body. Now I've decided to skip tenor and go up to baritone. Hmm, I wonder if he does a baritone pineapple. :p

Congratulations! Really nice looking uke!

Beautiful Colin. Use it well. That walnut is really something special.

It currently strung with Kamaka strings. I'm not really sure about them yet, but will give them a couple more weeks then put on some Southcoasts.

I tell anyone who asks that it is a great idea to experiment with strings, as they do have quite a bit of influence on the tone of the instrument and that is a very subjective thing. I kind of like the Kamakas on this one but that doesn't mean that you have to! :) I usually put Southcoasts on new instruments so you may well be on the right track. Enjoy!

That's the fanciest looking pineapple I've ever seen! Congratulations!

Very nice. I love the walnut too!

Thanks for all the nice words. I am fortunate to have been able to receive such a fine instrument! Such a joy to play.

I tell anyone who asks that it is a great idea to experiment with strings, as they do have quite a bit of influence on the tone of the instrument and that is a very subjective thing. I kind of like the Kamakas on this one but that doesn't mean that you have to! :) I usually put Southcoasts on new instruments so you may well be on the right track. Enjoy!

It could be the way I play, but the two higher strings (G & A) don't seem to ring like I would like and sound kind of dead/muted. I have had this with a few other string sets, but never with Southcoasts, which is why they have become my "go to" strings. I tuned it down to B tuning and love the way is resonates! Thank you again David!

Wonderfully clean, clear work. I'm a fan of walnut too. This makes me re-think pineapple shapes in ukes.

Thanks for all the nice words. I am fortunate to have been able to receive such a fine instrument! Such a joy to play.

It could be the way I play, but the two higher strings (G & A) don't seem to ring like I would like and sound kind of dead/muted. I have had this with a few other string sets, but never with Southcoasts, which is why they have become my "go to" strings. I tuned it down to B tuning and love the way is resonates! Thank you again David!

Let that be a lesson to me! :)

Meaning, maybe I should just stick to Southcoast strings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom