PDA

View Full Version : Seller's Remorse

mountain goat
10-24-2015, 08:15 PM
I went through some dark times recently and sold the two best ukes I ever owned. Just coz.

At least with buyer's remorse you have an out-clause: you can always re-sell. Alas, not with seller's remorse. The deed is done. You've lost em forever. Sometimes you don't realise how good you had it til you lose it, or in this case, sell it. :(

It has also left me soprano-less for the first time.

#naked #notcoping

Any fellow sufferers with a shoulder to cry on?

Dan Uke
10-24-2015, 08:23 PM
unless it's a custom, no since you can buy another one. Secondly, I sell a uke to buy another one. Repeat the process

Teek
10-24-2015, 09:42 PM
So sorry and feel your pain!

I sold a gorgeous chocolate and coffee and honey colored older koa Mele tenor, and hated losing it. I saw it back on Craigslist about 8 months later and wanted to drive an hour one way to buy it back, but my partner talked me out of it. Still sorry I didn't go get it, it was at half what I had sold it for. Dude just wanted to try one out, had a lot of money so it didn't matter what he sold it for.

That was awhile ago and I have other ukes that sound as nice or better, but that Mele, they don't make them nearly that nice anymore. Be open to something good coming your way, things often even out eventually.

Rakelele
10-24-2015, 10:31 PM
Curious as to which ones you regret the most.

DownUpDave
10-24-2015, 10:33 PM
Hard lesson but I try to rememeber why I bought it in the first place before selling it. Sometimes it will be hard to duplicate, other times you might do better. I love what "Teek" just said above. "Be open to something good coming your way"

It know it can be tough when you are in the thick of it but when a door closes a window usually opens.

Rodney.
10-24-2015, 11:04 PM
I regret selling my first bari, but only because I sold it to a friend who keeps it as a wallhanger. That uke deserves to be played.

turtledrum
10-25-2015, 12:08 AM
That was already a few weeks back.

Possibly a buyer would be willing to resell, having played it for awhile.

Mattyukaholic
10-25-2015, 12:34 AM
I sold a LoPrinzi custom a while back and missed it greatly. I even missed the smell of the thing! Recently it became available for sale and I re-bought it.

Since it had been gone someone had re-finished it and not done amazingly well (drip marks.) I actually feel guilty towards my poor little uke. I may even pay to get it back to it's original state eventually!

hammer40
10-25-2015, 01:36 AM
I haven't sold any ukes I have bought yet. I have no plans to since I enjoy them all, guess I got lucky in my purchases. I am at the point though, that if I do want another one, I will most likely have to part with one to get another.

VegasGeorge
10-25-2015, 02:17 AM
I went through some dark times recently and sold the two best ukes I ever owned. Just coz.

So typical. We all manage to 'get back at ourselves' one way or another. Sorry to hear about it and hope your life is brightening up.

This reminds me of Oscar Wilde's Ballad of Reading Gaol:

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!"
But some of us simply sell
The Ukulele we loved so well.

bunnyf
10-25-2015, 02:23 AM
I have occasional pangs over all the ukes and guitars I've sold. I like, in theory, the idea of paring down to just a few that you really love and play regularly but I still get wistful over most of the instruments that I've sold. I console myself with the thought that the "right one" is still out there waiting for me and these precursors were part of the journey necessary for me to recognize the "right one" when it comes along.

mountain goat
10-25-2015, 05:45 AM
Interesting responses everyone, thanks very much.These ukes were one off's and there is no chance of them being put back up for sale. the people who bought them knew they were getting special instruments.

Also interested to see the 3-star rating on the thread. Someone obviously hates it; someone else came to the rescue. Bit like ukes.:p

mountain goat
10-25-2015, 06:03 AM
Interesting responses everyone, thanks very much.These ukes were one off's and there is no chance of them being put back up for sale. the people who bought them knew they were getting special instruments.

Also interested to see the 3-star rating on the thread. Someone obviously hates it; someone else came to the rescue. Bit like ukes.:p

haha. Down to 2 star now!!! Keep the hate flowing.

ukuloonie
10-25-2015, 06:32 AM
The Sellers remorse I have is when I have sold one of my little Ukuleles and I find out that the Ukuleles' haven't been played or looked after properly.
I wish I could buy them back so that I can care for them again as they should be. Mmmm

bunnyf
10-25-2015, 06:39 AM
Weird. I think this is an interesting topic. People here buy and sell so much, I'd think there'd be plenty of sellers remorse. Maybe people have sooo much remorse that they can't bring themselves to talk about it. I'd give you 5stars but I'm not sure I know how, ver after all this time, it's not something that I've done.

Fleacia
10-25-2015, 07:24 AM
Agree with ukuloonie and bunnyf. For me, it's been less about the specs, price, etc. of the uke, but those I've regretted selling were because I'd bonder with them. The only over $1000 uke I ever had, I passed on because I never bonded with it. It was great, just not for me. OTOH, a tenor Flea I had, I still miss and regret selling! I've also been sad to find that ukes I had weren't well cared for, or much played by their new owners. Feel better soon!

NatalieS
10-25-2015, 08:03 AM
haha. Down to 2 star now!!! Keep the hate flowing.

I'm not quite sure why we have rating systems on threads here. I like this thread. :)

I deeply regret selling my DaSilva custom 3K soprano. I don't really even play the soprano size anymore and thought I could put that money towards a larger uke, but I miss that instrument a lot. I've gone through over 20 ukes over the years, but for some reason that one really spoke to me more than any other has. Oh well... it's definitely seller's remorse but I don't see there's anything to do about it other than move on.

deschutestrout
10-25-2015, 08:36 AM
I should have never sold my spruce / spalted maple concert Kala ... she was special. Other than that, I don't have regrets selling, as they usually follow, or lead to buying :-)

igorthebarbarian
10-25-2015, 08:39 AM
Your very first Uke, regardless of quality, is probably the only one that most of us could universally have sellers remorse on. I loaned/gave (?) my Kala travel tenor (an odd first one) to a friend; I don't think he's playing it and I would feel uncomfortable and awkward asking for it back.

PhilUSAFRet
10-25-2015, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I traded a sweet little mahogany Mele soprano just because I was too impatient to try a few more different sets of strings on it so I'd be satisfied with how it sounded. Oh well, one way to learn.

So sorry and feel your pain!

I sold a gorgeous chocolate and coffee and honey colored older koa Mele tenor, and hated losing it. I saw it back on Craigslist about 8 months later and wanted to drive an hour one way to buy it back, but my partner talked me out of it. Still sorry I didn't go get it, it was at half what I had sold it for. Dude just wanted to try one out, had a lot of money so it didn't matter what he sold it for.

That was awhile ago and I have other ukes that sound as nice or better, but that Mele, they don't make them nearly that nice anymore. Be open to something good coming your way, things often even out eventually.

Inksplosive AL
10-25-2015, 10:22 AM
Ive been there with a 1st generation tattoo machine once. Sold it due to needing to eat and later saw it bastardized and really crapped out by the kid who bought it from me. There wasn't anything original left on the machine and he put some really crappy coils on it. At least not many go hotrodding ukuleles so you know they still sing.

Just read past the first post and saw the refinish story... le sigh.

jop
10-25-2015, 10:38 AM
This thread reminds me of this:

Translation: Imagine anyone having the heart to SELL liquor.

bnolsen
10-25-2015, 10:49 AM
i've only sold a fluke and a flea. of any ukes I suspect these are easiest on buyer's remorse since you can just buy another that likely plays the same as the one sold.

wayfarer75
10-25-2015, 10:53 AM
I don't think I could sell any of my ukes. They're too special to me. It does mean I haven't bought very many, since there's no selling one uke to pay for another.

That said, if I bought a uke from someone on UU and they asked if they could buy it back, I would probably agree to it.

JustinJ
10-25-2015, 10:58 AM
I wonder what occurs more "Buyer's Remorse" or "Seller's Remorse" ? I would venture that Buyer's Remorse occurs more often.

turtledrum
10-25-2015, 11:46 AM
Just added my 5 star rating.

I'd been thinking about potentially selling a uke or two, but then I get quickly reminded of why I shouldn't when I play. This thread came along at the perfect time for me. There are no accidents.

But there are good friends. Here's hoping, Jon, you fall in uke love again soon. Meantime,those vids with the resonator are killer! :bowdown:

mountain goat
10-25-2015, 11:55 AM
I wonder what occurs more "Buyer's Remorse" or "Seller's Remorse" ? I would venture that Buyer's Remorse occurs more often.

Yes, I think you're perhaps right, Justin.

Although I suspect buyer's remorse is, by nature, more temporary. You can always sell it on and recoup (most of) the cost.

mountain goat
10-25-2015, 11:59 AM
Just added my 5 star rating.

I'd been thinking about potentially selling a uke or two, but then I get quickly reminded of why I shouldn't when I play. This thread came along at the perfect time for me. There are no accidents.

But there are good friends. Here's hoping, Jon, you fall in uke love again soon. Meantime,those vids with the resonator are killer! :bowdown:
Thanks turtledrum, but I wasn't looking for good 'ratings" really, just spun out as to why this thread got chosen to be poo-ed on. Personally, and as Natalie mentioned earlier, I think the "rating" system is divisive anyway, and from what I've seen, seems only to be utilised by one or two of several thousand members .

Knowing that there are others who have and do suffer the same sadness is making the landing a bit softer. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences everybody.

Jim Hanks
10-25-2015, 01:50 PM
I'm going to say "not really" as when it comes down to it, they're just things. But it depends on your connection to it as well, like time spent picking it out or modifying for your needs, projects or videos or gigs played with it, etc. The only uke I might regret selling is the Bruko bari I just sold. This was the first uke I helped specify before it was fully complete, first solid, first sanded down saddle. But two things help. First, I truly believe it went to "a good home" - a UU member and his wife that I think will get great enjoyment from it, maybe (probably even) more than I did. And second, I believe something even better is around the corner. And better doesn't have to mean more expensive, more custom, etc. It could just be something different, unexpected. It's about the journey.

Nickie
10-25-2015, 02:58 PM
I have few regrets. The only uke I got rid of that I regret was the UBass I gave to a friend because he wanted one so badly. Now my wife wants to learn to play bass, and we don't have one.
I'll save my money, it'll make a great present for her one day!

Doc_J
10-25-2015, 03:40 PM
I agree with Jim. There's a couple I've sold that would be nice to play again, but I'm moving forward.

I'm going to say "not really" as when it comes down to it, they're just things. But it depends on your connection to it as well, like time spent picking it out or modifying for your needs, projects or videos or gigs played with it, etc. The only uke I might regret selling is the Bruko bari I just sold. This was the first uke I helped specify before it was fully complete, first solid, first sanded down saddle. But two things help. First, I truly believe it went to "a good home" - a UU member and his wife that I think will get great enjoyment from it, maybe (probably even) more than I did. And second, I believe something even better is around the corner. And better doesn't have to mean more expensive, more custom, etc. It could just be something different, unexpected. It's about the journey.

Ukulele Eddie
10-25-2015, 03:45 PM
unless it's a custom, no since you can buy another one. Secondly, I sell a uke to buy another one. Repeat the process

Mostly, true. There are differences in production ukes and sometimes if you get a really special one, it can be hard to replace.

Ukulele Eddie
10-25-2015, 03:51 PM
Yes, I do have a few that I miss. But not so much so that I would forgo what I currently have. There were part of a journey to helping me develop my preferences. Like loves lost, often the memory is sweeter than the reality was. I wonder if I could play each now what I would think?

Uk3player78
10-25-2015, 03:57 PM
I miss one ukulele but i'm not sure if I miss the early days discovering the ukulele and this one captured it? Or if it was the ukulele. I remember it sounding a bit dead till I put on worth strings on it.

Either way this was one Kala solid Acacia concert. Only around 4 years ago when my first break from guitar happened which seems to be full time now. :D

70sSanO
10-26-2015, 06:42 AM

I do understand the one-off situation as you just can't get an exact replacement. But you might be able to find that next one-off.

There are local luthiers that are out of the mainstream. Perhaps by taking step back and assessing what changes you would have made to those ukes and then looking to see what you can get, you might end up with a ukulele you like better. As with love being blind, fondness for a particular instrument can sometimes also be blind, especially when looking back at something you don't have.

John

mountain goat
10-26-2015, 08:29 AM
I do understand the one-off situation as you just can't get an exact replacement. But you might be able to find that next one-off.

There are local luthiers that are out of the mainstream. Perhaps by taking step back and assessing what changes you would have made to those ukes and then looking to see what you can get, you might end up with a ukulele you like better. As with love being blind, fondness for a particular instrument can sometimes also be blind, especially when looking back at something you don't have.

John
Wise words, John. Thankyou.

And thankyou too, to those those of you who reinforced the need to keep looking ahead. Lots of principles I should apply to things in my own life that don't involve ukuleles.

Reading soupkng's thread about his new fluke also resonated strongly with me.

RichM
10-26-2015, 08:51 AM
I once sold a uke by a certain popular maker, and my only regret is that I didn't understand what a steep upcharge it should have brought. It didn't occur to me at the time that someone would pay extra for a used instrument, and I sold it for more or less what I paid for it. So I don't regret selling it, but I do regret not getting all the extra $$$ :)

I used to own a Kentucky KM-DAWG mandolin. These were exactly copies of a John Monteleone mandolin owned by David Grisman. While Kentucky is normally sort of a bargain mandolin brand, these were a limited edition (only 48 made), and built by Japanese luthier Eiichi Sumi, who was not yet well-known. While they sold for a premium price, they were still inexpensive by mandolin standards, and prices on the secondary market shot way up. It was, frankly, the best mandolin I ever owned, but when someone offered me a silly amount of money for it, I sold it. I couldn't tell you where that money is now, but I wouldn't mind having that mandolin back. That being said, I can't say playing the other two wonderful mandolins I own give me much sadness. Lotsa good instruments in the world.

ukuleleden
10-26-2015, 01:00 PM
I know the feeling... Have sold some nice acoustic and electric guitars and cars over the years. But I always used the proceeds for a better purpose. For instance the upside is those sales of my guitars have funded my ukulele lifestyle that brings much more joy, and with some more room still to grow. I have learned to keep the ones I am not playing stored in their cases for a rainy day, rather than ever sell them.

kissing
10-26-2015, 03:41 PM
I have a few regrets too.. Risa Tenor Uke-solid (which I will probably re-purchase at some point)..Pono Pro Classic Baritone with Mi-Si... Kamaka Baritone...Pono mahogany deluxe baritone...

I think with me, i didnt play at a level that I could appreciate such good instruments.

iamesperambient
10-26-2015, 04:00 PM
i still have deep deep deep depressive sellers remorse over selling my martin soprano
and my bluestar electric baritone. A day doesn't pass by where i think of how i parted
ways with them and get very depressed.

igorthebarbarian
10-26-2015, 04:46 PM
You did some awesome stuff with that Konablaster

i still have deep deep deep depressive sellers remorse over selling my martin soprano
and my bluestar electric baritone. A day doesn't pass by where i think of how i parted
ways with them and get very depressed.

myrnaukelele
11-03-2015, 10:31 AM
Your very first Uke, regardless of quality, is probably the only one that most of us could universally have sellers remorse on. I loaned/gave (?) my Kala travel tenor (an odd first one) to a friend; I don't think he's playing it and I would feel uncomfortable and awkward asking for it back.

Funny you would say that. One of the only ukes I've ever sold was my very first uke. It was an old Silvertone soprano. I sold it way back in the 90s and replaced it with a Martin. I still have that Martin and will never sell it but I wish I still had that old Silvertone too just for the sentimental value.

Katz-in-Boots
11-03-2015, 02:50 PM
Nah, see I don't get this first uke thing. My first was a Lanikai tenor. Just too big for my hands, sold it to someone else in my group, never regretted it. 2nd was an Islander, never bonded with it, my daughter has it now.

I would be hard pushed to let go of #3, my Kanile'a K1 concert. Sold #4, KoAloha slim concert. #5 is up for sale. #6 I'm not bonding with...

erivel
11-03-2015, 05:50 PM
Well there was this Pohaku Blondie Island tenor...

myrnaukelele
11-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Nah, see I don't get this first uke thing....

Well, it's just that I got that old Silvertone in 1980 and I played it for years. It wasn't a great uke but it was the only one I owned. I never thought I'd miss it once I replaced it with the Martin. Guess I'm just being sentimental.

janeray1940
11-03-2015, 06:37 PM

My first was a $100 entry-level Ohana. Nothing wrong with it, but after about 3 weeks I could already tell just wasn't going to cut it for me. I move on to Kamakas pretty quickly and gave the Ohana to an ex-guitarist friend, along with a pink Dolphin for her then-five-year-old daughter, and gave them a basic uke lesson. Years later, they are still playing those ukes! Best $100 I ever spent, and definitely no remorse or sentimental attachment to it - I'm just glad it's with someone who appreciates it.

I think I've re-homed a grand total of six ukes over the years. No regrets or remorse about letting any of them go.

Strumdaddy
11-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Funny you would say that. One of the only ukes I've ever sold was my very first uke. It was an old Silvertone soprano. I sold it way back in the 90s and replaced it with a Martin. I still have that Martin and will never sell it but I wish I still had that old Silvertone too just for the sentimental value.

There's a nice sunburst one going on Eeeb-Ay now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Silvertone-Ukulele-Soprano-/201461028851?hash=item2ee80357f3:g:Z4AAAOSwhcJWOR~ W

ukuleleden
11-03-2015, 11:15 PM
Yesterday I traded away my Fender Nohea, Lanikai LU-21 Pineapple and Oscar Schmidt Tenor for a brand new Martin S1. No regrets whatsoever, the S1 is head and shoulders above each of those three and I won't miss them for a moment, ever!

bunnyrawr
11-03-2015, 11:25 PM
Reading this thread I'm so glad I didn't manage to find a buyer for my 7/8 classical guitar, because deep down I'm really attached and I don't know how I'd feel if I had sold her.