Seller's Remorse

mountain goat

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I went through some dark times recently and sold the two best ukes I ever owned. Just coz.

At least with buyer's remorse you have an out-clause: you can always re-sell. Alas, not with seller's remorse. The deed is done. You've lost em forever. Sometimes you don't realise how good you had it til you lose it, or in this case, sell it. :(

It has also left me soprano-less for the first time.

#naked #notcoping

Any fellow sufferers with a shoulder to cry on?

unless it's a custom, no since you can buy another one. Secondly, I sell a uke to buy another one. Repeat the process

So sorry and feel your pain!

I sold a gorgeous chocolate and coffee and honey colored older koa Mele tenor, and hated losing it. I saw it back on Craigslist about 8 months later and wanted to drive an hour one way to buy it back, but my partner talked me out of it. Still sorry I didn't go get it, it was at half what I had sold it for. Dude just wanted to try one out, had a lot of money so it didn't matter what he sold it for.

That was awhile ago and I have other ukes that sound as nice or better, but that Mele, they don't make them nearly that nice anymore. Be open to something good coming your way, things often even out eventually.

Curious as to which ones you regret the most.

Hard lesson but I try to rememeber why I bought it in the first place before selling it. Sometimes it will be hard to duplicate, other times you might do better. I love what "Teek" just said above. "Be open to something good coming your way"

It know it can be tough when you are in the thick of it but when a door closes a window usually opens.

Last edited:
I regret selling my first bari, but only because I sold it to a friend who keeps it as a wallhanger. That uke deserves to be played.

I sold a LoPrinzi custom a while back and missed it greatly. I even missed the smell of the thing! Recently it became available for sale and I re-bought it.

Since it had been gone someone had re-finished it and not done amazingly well (drip marks.) I actually feel guilty towards my poor little uke. I may even pay to get it back to it's original state eventually!

I haven't sold any ukes I have bought yet. I have no plans to since I enjoy them all, guess I got lucky in my purchases. I am at the point though, that if I do want another one, I will most likely have to part with one to get another.

I went through some dark times recently and sold the two best ukes I ever owned. Just coz.

So typical. We all manage to 'get back at ourselves' one way or another. Sorry to hear about it and hope your life is brightening up.

This reminds me of Oscar Wilde's Ballad of Reading Gaol:

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!"
But some of us simply sell
The Ukulele we loved so well.

Last edited:
I have occasional pangs over all the ukes and guitars I've sold. I like, in theory, the idea of paring down to just a few that you really love and play regularly but I still get wistful over most of the instruments that I've sold. I console myself with the thought that the "right one" is still out there waiting for me and these precursors were part of the journey necessary for me to recognize the "right one" when it comes along.

Interesting responses everyone, thanks very much.These ukes were one off's and there is no chance of them being put back up for sale. the people who bought them knew they were getting special instruments.

Also interested to see the 3-star rating on the thread. Someone obviously hates it; someone else came to the rescue. Bit like ukes.:p

Interesting responses everyone, thanks very much.These ukes were one off's and there is no chance of them being put back up for sale. the people who bought them knew they were getting special instruments.

Also interested to see the 3-star rating on the thread. Someone obviously hates it; someone else came to the rescue. Bit like ukes.:p

haha. Down to 2 star now!!! Keep the hate flowing.

The Sellers remorse I have is when I have sold one of my little Ukuleles and I find out that the Ukuleles' haven't been played or looked after properly.
I wish I could buy them back so that I can care for them again as they should be. Mmmm

Weird. I think this is an interesting topic. People here buy and sell so much, I'd think there'd be plenty of sellers remorse. Maybe people have sooo much remorse that they can't bring themselves to talk about it. I'd give you 5stars but I'm not sure I know how, ver after all this time, it's not something that I've done.

Agree with ukuloonie and bunnyf. For me, it's been less about the specs, price, etc. of the uke, but those I've regretted selling were because I'd bonder with them. The only over $1000 uke I ever had, I passed on because I never bonded with it. It was great, just not for me. OTOH, a tenor Flea I had, I still miss and regret selling! I've also been sad to find that ukes I had weren't well cared for, or much played by their new owners. Feel better soon!

haha. Down to 2 star now!!! Keep the hate flowing.

I'm not quite sure why we have rating systems on threads here. I like this thread. :)

I deeply regret selling my DaSilva custom 3K soprano. I don't really even play the soprano size anymore and thought I could put that money towards a larger uke, but I miss that instrument a lot. I've gone through over 20 ukes over the years, but for some reason that one really spoke to me more than any other has. Oh well... it's definitely seller's remorse but I don't see there's anything to do about it other than move on.

I should have never sold my spruce / spalted maple concert Kala ... she was special. Other than that, I don't have regrets selling, as they usually follow, or lead to buying :)

Your very first Uke, regardless of quality, is probably the only one that most of us could universally have sellers remorse on. I loaned/gave (?) my Kala travel tenor (an odd first one) to a friend; I don't think he's playing it and I would feel uncomfortable and awkward asking for it back.

Yeah, I traded a sweet little mahogany Mele soprano just because I was too impatient to try a few more different sets of strings on it so I'd be satisfied with how it sounded. Oh well, one way to learn.

So sorry and feel your pain!

I sold a gorgeous chocolate and coffee and honey colored older koa Mele tenor, and hated losing it. I saw it back on Craigslist about 8 months later and wanted to drive an hour one way to buy it back, but my partner talked me out of it. Still sorry I didn't go get it, it was at half what I had sold it for. Dude just wanted to try one out, had a lot of money so it didn't matter what he sold it for.

That was awhile ago and I have other ukes that sound as nice or better, but that Mele, they don't make them nearly that nice anymore. Be open to something good coming your way, things often even out eventually.

Top Bottom