Yet again with the strings!!!!

Buiietbob

Reaction score
Hello Folks,
I have made two travel ukes.The first on has a mistake or two but the second turned out great. The first one I put black strings on and it sounds kinda mellow through my amps. The second one I would take out in public. I put Martin strings on it it sounds high and tinney.Not good at all.
My question is if I buy classical guitar strings and use the four heavy strings,are they thicker than uke strings.If so that should give me more darker sound. What options I have without a long wait are limited.
I don't have the means to post photos but I should have soon.
Thank You.
Buiietbob

Not a good idea. Those strings are too high tension and tuning them up to pitch could rip the bridge right off the sound board. If that does not happen they wiil probably sound like crap because they are not made for that short of a scale length.

Hello Folks,
I have made two travel ukes.The first on has a mistake or two but the second turned out great. The first one I put black strings on and it sounds kinda mellow through my amps. The second one I would take out in public. I put Martin strings on it it sounds high and tinney.Not good at all.
My question is if I buy classical guitar strings and use the four heavy strings,are they thicker than uke strings.If so that should give me more darker sound. What options I have without a long wait are limited.
I don't have the means to post photos but I should have soon.
Thank You.
Buiietbob

Try some mellow strings. Worth Browns maybe. Or I am sure South Coast makes a mellow string set. Perhaps you could tell us what uke it is so others who have that uke can share their experience with strings.
You might be surprised how sensitive ukes can be about what strings you put on. My mango tenor is finicky about strings. Sometimes the G and C sound great but the E or A seem a bit off. Or I put on a wound G or C and it booms too much and I miss the higher end response.
I recently found a set of strings that worked best for my uke and my style of playing but I must have gone through 10+ sets of strings on the quest for the "perfect strings" for my uke. (Thanks to bridge beads for making my string changing so much easier.)

Guitar strings are for guitars.
Ukulele strings are for ukuleles.
Don't switch them. Dave is right.

Lots of folks here at UU use Classical guitar strings (DGBE) on ukuleles, generally Tenors & Baritones. I use Savarez 520 Low Tension classical guitar strings and love them. Finding the correct gauge is extremely important, As Dave stated earlier, there are risks involved with high tension strings.

Last edited:
Thanks

I will take your advice to heart.I will order some strings and put my wait on. I always want everything right now.
May God bless you all.
buiietbob

Guitar strings are for guitars.
Ukulele strings are for ukuleles.
Don't switch them. Dave is right.

Classical guitar and ukulele strings are both tie end, so more than likely, they are one and the same but packaged differently.

That said, the bottom four strings of a classical set (EADG) will be too much for the OP's ukuleles, which is why many use the top four (DGBE) with excellent results.

Top Bottom