Just Pass Me a Fluke

soupking

Reaction score
Hey. I've been around a while now. I would say my UAS is and was about as bad as it gets. I started out with a couple imports from a local store. Then I progressed to midrange stuff, to high level production stuff, onto custom blinged out incredible stuff. I still own a range of all.

When I first got into this I wound up with two Fleas and a koa Fluke concert; all long since sold. I flipped them to "move up" to Hawaiian production ukes. For no good reason, except that I'm nuts. Hawaiian ukes are basically unbeatable to me, too, in terms of pretty much everything. Owning one is a treasure, because having something so special is a rare occurrence elsewhere for me. It's the one thing I really like, so it's one of the only things I spend money on.

Anyway, I ordered another koa concert Fluke. Love it. It's perfect. Nice shape to grab onto, Made in the USA, sweet sound, and just ready to play without fault. I've purchased three directly from Magic Fluke over the years, so I know this to be so.

I still have customs, and production ukes. The koa model Fluke is also quite a premium, price wise, but I've had the base ones, too. These things should be *the* recommendation for the beginner. I'm posting a video with this Fluke- of a couple verses of "Hobo's Lullaby"- to show the extent of my "talent." I have the Zaza book, and Roadmaps, and Pikillo or whatever it's called, but at the end of the day, I'm too damn lazy for finger style, or even chord melody for that matter-- all I really wanna do is bang out a couple chords and sing terribly, 'cause that's what soothes my soul.

Custom instruments are one-of-a-kind, and awesome in every way, but the longer I play, the more I realize that I let myself get into a territory that was absolutely unnecessary… for me. A Fluke is all I need, as you'll soon discover.

Totally agree Matt.

I got me reso and me Kala and I's a (sorta) happy man now...though i am really sad I let some go...well,like 100-ish. Especially recently. But who the F needs a 3000 dollar uke to busk with in your bedroom and then chip when you're drunk.

One of those fleas you sold to me -the batik one - and I loved that damn thing. played like a buttery bun...like you, sold it to pursue higher callings which, when all's said and done, weren't worth it. The dream uke to end all of em just doesn't exist, don't believe anyone who tells you that folks.

Enjoy that bugger mate and hang onto her. Sounds really, really nice.

Lovely playing - and singing too!

Completely agree about not needing anything too fancy to have fun. At the end of the day, that's really what it's all about, right?

Also completely agree that a Flea or a Fluke should be *theeeeeee* perfect starter uke (assuming you can afford it). I am definitely more so in that 200-400 range myself and Flea/Fluke/Firefly are all incredible values for what you get.

Booli will probably sound off if he catches this thread. He's a fan. I just got my first fluke through the marketplace here and it's my "take it everywhere" instrument. Am am starting to appreciate the fluke design and how it feels, particularly how the angled body and neck meet at the 12th fret. I can't describe it exactly but it makes strumming, picking and fretting up the neck so natural and fluid. I can play it for hours and I often do.

I understand exactly what soupking is saying. I started my uke adventure sometime in 2009. Talk about UAS- I have close to 50 ukes now, customs, vintages, production models, K brands and I don't think I have a bad one in the bunch. I have/had (all concert size) a Lava flea (gave to a cousin), mahogany flea (gave to another cousin for a retirement gift) pistachio flea, Koa flea, and a blue lagoon fluke. All have the hardwood fretboard except the lava flea and the fluke. Although I pull out my my ukes in different phases at different times I constantly keep my fluke on hand. What great instruments magic fluke company produces- always consistent, great sound, great action, love the feel of the neck (right now I prefer the poly fretboard). This week I plan on ordering the adi spruce top concert fluke, all black except the top, poly fretboard, with side fretboard markers only strung with freemont blackline low g. I know people always say they are a great beginner uke, but in my opinion they go way beyond a beginner uke and can hold their own with some of the best of them- disclaimer is I am a novice at best, but I do know what sounds I like. I always tell people who are curious about ukes that if they get one go for a flea or fluke first and if they get UAS they will probably go full circle and realize as I have they are amongst some of the best made. The people at magic fluke company are really nice and a pleasure to do business with.

I bet your experience resonates with many of us here in pursuit of wanting to own or try so many different designs and price points from a host of premier brands or popular models. I can't tell you enough how much I agree with you about the Fluke and Fleas. Add to that the Firefly Banjo Ukulele that brings out the George Formby in me, LOL!

So as I wait on my order for the Custom Koa Tonor Fluke build to be completed and shipped, you have provided a great video to watch another Fluke Afficianado enjoying one which helps with the anticipation of my own Fluke arriving soon.

Oh, and with all the talk about Uke sizes in the other thread, I think there is room for a Concert Flea or even a long neck Soprano in my future if I don't buy that new Martin Soprano I have had my eye recently...

Keep strummin', singin', and whistling and enjoy that Fluke of yours! So much fun!

I could not agree more. Ukes are not commodities. They are meant to be played. I've run into troubles with acquisition syndrome in other hobbies. It's never a good feeling when you've overspent. You look at all the things you bought and realize you're no better off.

I enjoyed your playing. Hell, we're in this for the fun. Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes I loose sight of that in my quest to get better.

Play the uke you have. You'll be much happier for it.

Carried my concert Flea across Northern Spain on the Camino Santiago. She never complained, was nearly always in tune, and was up for whatever. Fleas, and be extension Flukes are great ukulele offering value way beyond their cost.

Aloha Matt,
Fleas and flukes work fine for strummimg the first chords and price wise cannot beat in their
Level. But if youre playing more complicated things and farther up the neck they dont
Have enough resonation and substain, clarity.. but it certainly has volume
Plus the neck is quite thick in the transitions for more complicated stuff
But its a great value to me and certainly a fun uke.

Thanks for all the comments, everyone. Yeah, all I know is I sure enjoyed Jon wailing on that Batik concert Flea on all those videos of yore. As far as the up the neck business, perhaps it's so, but I wouldn't know either way haha and don't much care. Sounds damn good to me, even with those dreadful Aquilas (gasp!) :rolleyes: -- Matt

Here's a link to Flea Market Music Jukebox, and there are some cool tracks that Jim recorded with concert Flukes, under the yellow tab marked "Jim Beloff Songs/Recordings." Sounds great to me... Heck, if a koa concert Fluke is good enough for Jim, it's certainly good enough for me. Numbers 1 and 17 are great, both on Flukes.

https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/jukebox/Default.asp

I read these threads, scratch my head, and think "I should be learning something." Hmmmmm.

Fluke sounds great, Matt.

I loved the Fluke that I had, but I find myself liking the Outdoor tenor way more. The Outdoor's trebles sound sweeter and it has better sustain to my ears.

Intonation and playability in both are excellent up to 14th fret and beyond.

What are your thoughts on plastic vs hardwood fretboard? A part of me is drawn to the plastic because plastic is cool and you won't have to worry about fret ends sticking out due to cold and humidity - also, technically the setup can be perfect since its plastic and machine created which probably is the reason they are so well regarded for intonation and playability. However, the hardwood fretboard looks so cool! Will it be setup and intonate as well as the plastic board?

I disagree. The fleas I've played have all had exceptional note separation, best ones I played sounded amazing with aquila strings. More complicated things? Up the neck? nup...resonance and clarity, tick. Maybe it's just that most folks don't have a trained ear that can pick up such things as you're saying, but they sure sound way better up the neck than many expensive customs I've had the displeasure to know or try. And I always found the necks smooth as silk. Each to their own I suppose Bruddah.
It was unfair comparing to my customs, believe me i know and i do have a good ear :)

It was unfair comparing to my customs, believe me i know and i do have a good ear :)

Hi Stan,

We often hear what we want to. There is a lot of research on people's expectations. We spend money on things and then justify it by seeing or hearing something special in our purchase item.

I think there is an implicit assumption that a custom uke = better uke than others. I'm sure there are great customs as there are factory made. Also there are poorly made customs just as they're are poorly made factory ukes. I think it's poor thinking to automatically discount a uke because it's not a custom. And after all it's the player that makes an instrument sound good. I have a barber who has played Jazz guitar for 70 years. In his barber shop he has an old Yamaha acoustic in the corner. He picks that thing up and makes it sing. I do not sound anywhere as good as him on it.

Have you seen the brain games with the Chocloate Cake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7VEWTbe5lU ? Take a listen as people eat the same cake but then talk up how great the expensive cake is versus the cheaper cake.

Last edited:
I love the Magic Fluke instruments. I've played dozens and all have been great. The sound, the playability, the intonation are all fantastic.

Hi Stan,

We often hear what we want to. There is a lot of research on people's expectations. We spend money on things and then justify it by seeing or hearing something special in our purchase item.

I think there is an implicit assumption that a custom uke = better uke than others. I'm sure there are great customs as there are factory made. Also there are poorly made customs just as they're are poorly made factory ukes. I think it's poor thinking to automatically discount a uke because it's not a custom. And after all it's the player that makes an instrument sound good. I have a barber who has played Jazz guitar for 70 years. In his barber shop he has an old Yamaha acoustic in the corner. He picks that thing up and makes it sing. I do not sound anywhere as good as him on it.

Have you seen the brain games with the Chocloate Cake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7VEWTbe5lU ? Take a listen as people eat the same cake but then talk up how great the expensive cake is versus the cheaper cake.
Um I did say its a FUN UKE, I did not discount it at all.. :)
any uke can be a fun ukulele whatever the price is, it one of the first things you learn grasshopper :)
as you said there are gems in any level ukulele, you just need to find them....
BTW I do own one for 5 years, and it does get alot of playing time....

Last edited:
Top Bottom