Kala ka-sb?

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
The KALA KA-SB Mahogany sides and back, solid spruce top baritone ukulele- does this mythical creature even exist? I have only the baritone to add to my ukulele quiver and nobody make a pineapple baritone but if the KALA KA-SB sounds and looks as nice as their KA-ST then it may be my next UAS fix only thing is nobody seems to stock them. Are they discontinued, back-ordered due to popularity, or hasn't it come into production yet? Does anyone here own one? I want a decent quality, decent sounding solid top baritone under $200. Any suggestions? :confused:

PS. How does LANIKAI compare to KALA in quality and sound? I see Bounty Music has the Lanikai SB on sale for $157.49
http://www.ukes.com/lanikai.html

Last edited:
I think the Lanikai is essentially the same as the Kala baritone. Someone on FMM forum a while ago actually compared it to a vintage Martin baritone and preferred the Lanikai spruce top.

By the way, Mike Pereira of MP ukulele makes a pineapple baritone. Check it out.

WOW@Baritone Pineapple... :eek: mahalo for info ;)
DSC01971.jpg

Wish I had $975 to burn, she is a beauty!____________________/l\

I think the Lanikai is essentially the same as the Kala baritone. Someone on FMM forum a while ago actually compared it to a vintage Martin baritone and preferred the Lanikai spruce top.

By the way, Mike Pereira of MP ukulele makes a pineapple baritone. Check it out.

$975 for the pineapple bari... if someone makes the leap, I hope they love it.

The KALA KA-SB Mahogany sides and back, solid spruce top baritone ukulele- does this mythical creature even exist? I have only the baritone to add to my ukulele quiver and nobody make a pineapple baritone but if the KALA KA-SB sounds and looks as nice as their KA-ST then it may be my next UAS fix only thing is nobody seems to stock them. Are they discontinued, back-ordered due to popularity, or hasn't it come into production yet? Does anyone here own one? I want a decent quality, decent sounding solid top baritone under $200. Any suggestions? :confused:

PS. How does LANIKAI compare to KALA in quality and sound? I see Bounty Music has the Lanikai SB on sale for $157.49
http://www.ukes.com/lanikai.html

Ohana and Kala both have a baritone that is closer to Lanikai's bari (mahogany), but the Ohana BK-32 and Kala KA-ASMB are both solid mahogany, the Lanikai is laminate.

Your query on the KA-SB...

That looks like a very nice ukulele. I'd love to have that one for recording, myself. It looks as though it comes from a different factory than the Kala KA-ASMB and Ohana baritones.

I like the look of it. I'll bet it sounds great. MGM could probably get it for you pretty quickly.

Ohana and Kala both have a baritone that is closer to Lanikai's bari (mahogany), but the Ohana BK-32 and Kala KA-ASMB are both solid mahogany, the Lanikai is laminate.

Bounty Music described the Lanikai SB as a solid spruce top:
S-B Lanikai Solid Spruce Top Baritone: Mahogany back and sides.
Retail Price: $209.99 SALE! $157.49

Is this NOT true then? :confused:

Top Bottom