Very happy..

plucky

Reaction score
Hi All, just though I'd mention how pleased I am with my new suprano uke. It wasn't an expensive model, but I wanted to be sure I could get on with it ok.. Well I'm doing ok (I think) the main thing is I really enjoy playing it, the only minus point so far is that it's a bit tricky to hold due to the small size after being used to an accoustic guitar and a banjo. Maybe my next purchase after Christmas will be a better quality model, probably a concert size, although I understand they are not much bigger...but I'll sort that out in the shop. The big plus point is that I've managed to master 'duelling banjos' on it...something I haven't yet got the hang of with the actual banjo yet lol.

Cheers All........... Ian.

Congratulations Ian! You must be a quick study, Dueling Banjos is pretty darn tough to learn. Welcome to UU.

Having fun is the most important thing. Congrats.

Ian, it sounds like you caught the uke bug. You're already planning your next uke purchase. Heheh!

Good job on mastering the song.

It's great to hear you are having fun. To me, ukuleles add more joy to my life than any other instrument I have ran across.

Thanks for your replies folks...nice to make contact with other music lovers. It might seem as if I'm some kind of expert musician but this is far from reality, I just happen to have had a lot of practice over the years with different instruments....it's just the love of music driving me along, my version of duelling banjos is hesitant to say the least, but it's just good fun playing the Uke. I forgot to mention earlier that one of the nicest things about this forum is being classed as a 'junior' member, wow!, at 78 years of age it sounds really good. Keep enjoying life folks...... especially the musical bits...

Best Regards...... Ian

one more person being poisoned ....haha. enjoy the playing and happy strumming, Ian!

Congratulations on your new Uke!

Duelling Banjos is fine to play on the uke, but it must NEVER be played on a banjo!:rulez: Glad I came here to help before you did something terribly sinister! ;)

Holding the uke will magically get easier with time. I had the same problem in the beginning, now I don't even think about it. Weird, but it just kinda works itself out. You can always have a shop install a strap button if you are struggling too much though.

Cheers,
Max

It's great to hear you are having fun. To me, ukuleles add more joy to my life than any other instrument I have ran across.

This is so true.

There are times when I just don't want to work on/learn something and can mindlessly play different chords and put some notes in between and it really does bring me joy. Playing the guitar never quite got me to the same place of contentment.

John

Well it's great to hear of so many Uke players from around the world..... it seems to be a very magical instrument and has taken over completely from my guitar and banjo, in fact right at this moment pressing my lap top keys is a little bit painful due to the hours I have already spent on the strings. I'm sure I will eventually get the hang of holding the Uke - just at present, when I get really into a tune, I nearly drop it as it spins around in my fingers. Because my other stringies have steel strings I have generally used a pick - on the banjo I use finger picks but over the last couple of days I've found that I prefer fingers only, the effect is not as loud butthis seems to give me a better tone.... of course it might just be me that's going deaf eh? Just hoping that the slightly bigger Concert or Tenor might be a bit easier to hold but that will be sorted out in the shop. Just at the moment I'm practising an old song 'Has Anybody Seen My Gal' ... the one that starts 'Five foot two, Eyes of Blue... sounds just great on the soprano as I'm sure a few million other songs do .The big question now is, Am I turning into an anorak?????

Keep takin' the tablets folks.... Ian

Top Bottom