What Soprano ??? - Pono MSD, Martin S1 or Bruko #6 ?

kw1998

Reaction score
I posted a similar thread before and got some interesting info. Now I have opened my choices, I've then narrowed it down to these three ukes. What would you get ?

# 1 choice for me of the three is Brueko #6. The neck on my Brueko #2 is the same with a solid wood Maple fingerboard, and it has a lovely satin finish that is great for my fretting hand. I love playing this ukulele, but as I mentioned in the other thread, my fretting hand will get a bit tired.

The Brueko is a 12 fret join with nothing further up the neck. I am perfectly happy with that, but the Martin S1 & the Pono MSD join at the 12th fret and are 17 frets overall, so that may be the deal breaker. (The Pono is also gloss finish and a bit wider at the nut.)

I love Bruko ukes (I have a number 5 that was my first 'proper' uke, and old maple 'sunburst one' and a concert I recently bought on the Marketplace here). They're ridiculously good value, great workmanship, sound great. They can have a slightly higher action (and you can't easily adjust it due to the one piece bridge/ saddle arrangement on their standard model sopranos), but it's certainly well within my personal limits of what I consider too high. It's probably why it's one of my louder ukes, too.
No experience of the Martin S1.
The Pono sopranos (despite the fact that I love their concerts, tenors and baritones) just never did it for me, though they're certainly well made, nice playing ukes.

I'm not really contrary but, although I think the Brukos are the best built of the three, I would prefer the Pono and the Martin. If you like the sound of the Bruko, as some do, it's the best choice. They are consistently far too bright sounding for my taste. I hope you will play all three before deciding.

I've added Worth Browns to my Bruko #5 to mellow it out. It was a little bright. Spectacular ukes. Great sound, very playable.

I also have a Martin SO, which is different than the S1 due to the extra frets (maybe more differences I'm unaware of) and it sounds and plays great. The action on that one was a little high at the saddle and because it's glued in and hardwood, I was able to take off the strings and lower it a bit. Made a lot of difference to me. I now pick it up much more than I did. It's very sturdy. I have no worries about breaking it anytime soon. But, it still sounds very nice at the same time.

I would try to play the one I bought, but if I was ordering them without playing, I think I'd have more confidence in Bruko. Just because of how meticulous you always hear they are.

Save up, get one of each!

I have no experience with Ponos. :(

I love Bruko ukes (I have a number 5 that was my first 'proper' uke, and old maple 'sunburst one' and a concert I recently bought on the Marketplace here). They're ridiculously good value, great workmanship, sound great. They can have a slightly higher action (and you can't easily adjust it due to the one piece bridge/ saddle arrangement on their standard model sopranos), but it's certainly well within my personal limits of what I consider too high. It's probably why it's one of my louder ukes, too.
No experience of the Martin S1.
The Pono sopranos (despite the fact that I love their concerts, tenors and baritones) just never did it for me, though they're certainly well made, nice playing ukes.

Thanks ! I really like the bruko, but I would have to purchase without playing, whereas a nearby shop stocks the martin and the pono !

I'm not really contrary but, although I think the Brukos are the best built of the three, I would prefer the Pono and the Martin. If you like the sound of the Bruko, as some do, it's the best choice. They are consistently far too bright sounding for my taste. I hope you will play all three before deciding.

Thats good to know ! I have a nearby shop stocking the Pono and Martin, but not bruko, yet the bruko is much cheaper !

I've added Worth Browns to my Bruko #5 to mellow it out. It was a little bright. Spectacular ukes. Great sound, very playable.

I also have a Martin SO, which is different than the S1 due to the extra frets (maybe more differences I'm unaware of) and it sounds and plays great. The action on that one was a little high at the saddle and because it's glued in and hardwood, I was able to take off the strings and lower it a bit. Made a lot of difference to me. I now pick it up much more than I did. It's very sturdy. I have no worries about breaking it anytime soon. But, it still sounds very nice at the same time.

I would try to play the one I bought, but if I was ordering them without playing, I think I'd have more confidence in Bruko. Just because of how meticulous you always hear they are.

Save up, get one of each!

I have no experience with Ponos. :(

Isn't it so tempting to get one of each ! haha Im only allowed to buy 1 although it would be nice..... :)

Not sure if I am late, early or just on time to the Brüko fan club party, but count me in as officially being a Brüko fan! Actually, after finally getting my hands on the first Brüko (a standard #6) that I had a chance to hold and play for about an hour, the term fan may even be an understatement. More accurately, as I have become completely enamored with the superb build quality and the clear & crisp (defined) tone that really appeals to me. The early-traditional design use of a wooden nut and bridge/saddle actually appeals to me after first being apprehensive of the lack of a contemporary nut and bridge/saddledesign.

So to to all of the other Brüko owners here and elsewhere who have been singing the praises of the brand, I now stand shoulder to shoulder with you joyfully singing along.

BTW, my first Brüko order is the #6 Thin Body that should be here in the next few weeks or so... No doubt the first of what will eventaully be a Brüko collection...

Top Bottom