best sounding uke

bt93

Reaction score
what is the best sounding uke for $300.00 and under?

Soprano; Tenor; Baritone; sopranino?

Soprano; Tenor; Baritone; sopranino?

Concert ftw!:D

As for the OP that is kind of a vague question. Really is personal prefence. It really depends on what type of sound you are looking for. But a vague answer is a soild wood instrument or at least solid top. IMO.

Last edited:
That depends....

To my ears or yours or to Deach's?
And with what strings????

Pretty vague post (what size/style are you looking for?), but in general, solid wood is best.

Check out Kala's solid mahogany or spruce-tops (MGM has a great selection). Mainland is a good bet too. Flukes/Fleas are usually laminates but they still sound awesome and are built like tanks. It shouldn't matter what type of wood you get, because it seems as though you're just looking for something good to start out with.

According to FMM's specs, they're a 3-ply laminate unless you get the solid koa.

Any $300 or under ukulele that Jake is playing... ;)

I say do a blind sound test. take a friend into a uke store or place with various ukes and have them play all they can without you knwing the brand or wood or make...... in the same size I bet you will be suprised at what you pick as best sounding. I have done this time after time with seasoned players and about 1/3 of the time they make shame because they pick a inexpensive one as the best sound ...I have even snuck in their personal ukulele at times and they pick one thats not theirs and hundreds less than they bought theirs for....

MGM, that's very sneaky, but you are SO right.

Someone else's experience and opinions CAN be helpful in choosing a uke, but you should always choose with your ears whenever possible. After all, it will be YOUR ears that have to listen to the thing most.

Ukantor.

I say do a blind sound test. take a friend into a uke store or place with various ukes and have them play all they can without you knwing the brand or wood or make...... in the same size I bet you will be suprised at what you pick as best sounding. I have done this time after time with seasoned players and about 1/3 of the time they make shame because they pick a inexpensive one as the best sound ...I have even snuck in their personal ukulele at times and they pick one thats not theirs and hundreds less than they bought theirs for....

the only problem is that i live in michigan, and there are no stores here other than guitar center with ukes

what is the best sounding uke for $300.00 and under?
For $300 you can get a nice handmade solid wood Mele; koa soprano or mahogany concert. Or a really nice used baritone or tenor on Ebay. (Solid mahogany Harmony baritones still go for under $200!). You may be able to get a better idea of what size to get by checking out ukulele videos on Youtube. Aloha and good ukin'!

Top Bottom