A Banjo Ukulele Build!!!

kmatsu

Reaction score
Long ago (10 years ago) I had bought an 8" hand drum with the intention of building a banjo ukulele. But, as often happens with me, I got distracted by other building projects, and didn't get around to building the thing until just this past month. I had several French-polishing waiting times for a tenor uke I was building, so I figured this would be as good a time as any to get a start on finally building this banjo uke.

Anyway, it took me about three weeks to build it, and I was just kind of figuring it out as I went along. I just finished it yesterday. I think it came out well --- it was a fun, different kind of build!

If you'd like to see the project, take a look at these two pages on my website, where I've embedded all the posts I was putting on Facebook while I was building it: http://theamateurluthier.com/retirement/htmlpages/BanjoUke1.html

Good to see you filling retirement time so effectively Kathy. Love all of your builds, the honest and humble way you go about this ballet that is luthiery. Thanks for posting....

Why don't you like banjo ukes? They're fun & quirky (the kinds of things I like)!!!! :) :) :)

Why don't you like banjo ukes? They're fun & quirky (the kinds of things I like)!!!! :) :) :)
Because nothing I play would use a Banjo, much less a Banjo uke.

A Tiple on the other hand, I've always said shouldn't be a players first instrument, much less only instrument. My friend proved me wrong - we played a 2 hour gig the other night, and he had a Tiple the whole way through.

Just a personal thing I guess. Don't be offended, I don't even like Standard Ukulele, and I tolerate Concerts. Only Tenors for me. I think I live too much of a sheltered life where I live, though Chuck may disagree.

Just as personal, I love your work, and your approach, although admittedly I haven't been to your site in years.

Last edited:
Kathy, I'm another fan of your work and your site!

Nice one Kathy. Banjo Ukes are great fun.

Last edited:
Because nothing I play would use a Banjo, much less a Banjo uke.

A Tiple on the other hand, I've always said shouldn't be a players first instrument, much less only instrument. My friend proved me wrong - we played a 2 hour gig the other night, and he had a Tiple the whole way through.

Just a personal thing I guess. Don't be offended, I don't even like Standard Ukulele, and I tolerate Concerts. Only Tenors for me. I think I live too much of a sheltered life where I live, though Chuck may disagree.

Just as personal, I love your work, and your approach, although admittedly I haven't been to your site in years.

No offense taken --- I was just curious!!! :)

Top Bottom