Don't like pestering but....

plucky

Reaction score
Could use some advice here, but I realise that personal choice and simply listening to the instrument really counts, however, opinions help a lot in my case and I've been wondering about trying a starter 'concert' model. The three being considered are, Laka VUC30. Brunswick BU4. Ashton UKE240. Just wondering if anyone has tried any of them.......... By the way, I'm still loving my soprano....great fun.

Ian.

As they're all laminate mahogany for about the same price, it wouldn't be surprising if they're made in the same factory so there's unlikely to be much of a difference between them. The thing that will really matter is the set up - buy whichever one is available from a shop that does a set up before sale (Omega, Southern Uke Store, Eagle to name a few). Action and playability is key at this price point - the sound won't vary too much.

If you can stretch to £80 rather than £60, Southern Uke Store do an all solid mahogany uke under their own brand that will be a step up from these:

http://www.southernukulelestore.co....oncert-Ukulele-ALL-SOLID-MAHOGANY-only-£79-99

That's what I'd go for!

:agree:.....................

Thanks for the replies folks...... some food for thought there. I've just watched the video on the Southern music Store site - very impressive. My local store is called Gear4music and is located in York about 15 minutes drive away. I think a visit to them is called for before I fully decide, they are extremely helpful and willing to set up an instrument, they got my banjo tuned and ready to go when I bought that some time ago. I take the point that some differently named instruments will have been made by the same manufacturer like a lot of things nowadays - I suppose it's sound advice to try an instrument for tone and handling before deciding finally. I'm really grateful for all the help I get on this forum - many thanks. it helps me avoiding any obvious pitfalls, and I'm sure I'll get right thing eventually when I study all the comments. One interesting thing I noticed about the Southern Store is that mainland postage is included - that keeps them in the frame....

Ian

Probably worth speaking to Matt at Omega Music, I don't know whether they stock any of the models you've listed, but he'll give you really honest advice about whatever they've got in your price range. Or call Southern Ukulele, they're always really helpful and they stock a wide range of ukes.

I've never bought a uke from Gear4Music but I have got other things from them and they are pretty decent. I'll confess to almost exclusively shopping at Omega and SUS now though, even though I've not visited - the patience of both shops with my endless questions has been quite something! Whatever you end up going with, enjoy it!

Top Bottom