Myrtle wood uke sound

uketanzon

Reaction score
Anyone have direct experience with a myrtle wood solid uke. I love the look of the wood but how does it sound? Treble, bass, mid tone, sustain, volume..????? Thanks

Go to youtube and search Mya Moe ukuleles. They do completed work demos (sound samples) of their completed ukes. They are very very much into building with myrtle and like it alot. It is probably their signature ukulele, one they are best known for.

To my ear it is right in the middle of the tonal spectrum. Good mids, well balanced not too much brightness nor bass.

I think of different woods as either brighter or warmer sounding. For example, Koa is warm, Brazilian Rosewood is bright. Myrtle is midway. The other criteria you mentioned has more to do with the skill of the luthier in constructing a musical instrument.

Cosmetically, Myrtle is my favorite wood. Tonally, it is wonderful. A very nice balance between bass and treble, dark and bright tone.

My Mya Moe myrtle was wonderful in so many ways, but at least that model was a just a bit soft sounding to me. That may be more indicative of the all hardwood model type, as the soft tops with harder back MM's have all sounded louder and punchier to me.

However, I am getting back into myrtle which is my commission with David from Ono - just can't beat the looks or the tonal balance.

You can not always make generalizations on wood types. The sound depends a lot on the builder.

You can not always make generalizations on wood types. The sound depends a lot on the builder.

Hollis breaks it down nicely me thinks. Woods do influence the sound and go towards certain tendencies a lot of times, but other aspects of sound like volume and sustain are clearly more attributed to luthier design and influence.

I have a Phil Riggio all myrtle tenor, strung low g. I adore it. I mostly play finger style or thumb picking and find a wonderful depth in its sound. I'm not skilled enough to discuss sound in the detail that others can, but I can tell you this: the myrtle is a significant player in my collection of ukes with other tonewoods (hog, koa, maple, rosewood....). It is unique.

I have a Myrtle body uke with a Spruce top. It has different tones depending on the strings that I put on it.

I love the way the Mrytle looks.

A description of wood tones from Breedlove http://breedlovemusic.com/features/wood-descriptions I'm not comfortable saying that each one of these woods gives the characteristic but it's still interesting reading.

Top Bottom