New Snark HZ-1

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
I was just going to post a thread about Snark tuners. I love them but they keep breaking where the "gooseneck" for lack of better term attaches to the round body part of the tuner. Then I see Snark has a new HZ-1 which is 40% smaller than a standard clip on Snark, boast brighter display and it seems they have fixed that weakness by changing and shortening the swivel.

So far I've had a SN-2 that the socket broke so had to throw out. Now my Super Tight is wearing is same area. I'm not hard on tuners but..........

Also, I wonder if anyone know the signifigance of 329.6 HZ and why it would be more accurate?

I have a blue, red, and black Snark.

The blue was the first one I ever got and the rubber pad on the bottom "pincher" promptly fell off. Tunes great, so I use it on the plastic ukes and the OXK where not having that rubber pad won't hurt anything.

I like the red Snark just cause it is cool looking, not that I ever use the extra features.

The black one seems to be just fine, too.

None have ever had an issue with the neck, and I cram them in cases and gig bags all the time.

I do have half a dozen of the Reverb ones, too, but I like the Snarks. I never have to worry about being in ukulele mode and I liked learning notes and chords with the Snark on the ukulele.

My local dealer's tuner wall is filled with Snarks. I have a blue one I purchased a while back. It left me stranded once before a ukulele jam which prompted me to buy an A-440 tuning fork, which of course never needs a battery. I have since adopted Jim D'Ville's method of using the A-440 tuning fork that I take everywhere with my Ukes, and it never lets me down... I also noticed that through repetition of it's use, that tuning by ear is increasingly becoming second nature which has built up a keener sense of always being in tune by ear, rather than relying on electronic device for tuning.

I will definitely try a A 440 tuning fork. That looks interesting and simple. Thank you for video and suggestion. I'm still curious and interested in the new snark and what 329.6 hz is all about. The smaller size would be nice. Both inexpensive options in big picture. I do thing tuning by ear would be a big benefit to playing.

I believe the 329.6 advertising is simply a mode that shows the actual frequency measurement in hz. For example, your a string should read out as close to 440, so seeing it digital you can really dial it in if needed.

I will definitely try a A 440 tuning fork. That looks interesting and simple. Thank you for video and suggestion. I'm still curious and interested in the new snark and what 329.6 hz is all about. The smaller size would be nice. Both inexpensive options in big picture. I do thing tuning by ear would be a big benefit to playing.

I think beginners, intermediate and even some advanced players who do not yet tune by ear or dont' own a tuning fork, should add an A-440 tuning fork to their gear. As I already eluded to earlier, it has been making me identify better with the uke in being able to move and tune through the octaves more as second nature. Where in the beginning I was more reliant on the number system and counting method, which too is a great knowledge factor for navigating the fretboard.

So the tuning by ear approach is yielding some added benefits that any electronic tuner wouldn't have so naturally put me on that path to. While you could learn to tune by ear with an electronic tuner, at this point where I am I see mostly a secondary verification tool.

I'm not sure of the benefits of this, the documentation doesn't show how the Mhz display is shown on screen, just some photoshopped graphic overlaid onto a photo of the item.
Also there is a warning about using on nitrocellulose finishes.
h

........I have a red snark, it is great for setting up the uke for political tunes, and I have a black other name tuner for the darker music. The blue snark would be ideal for tuning up to play something by Robert Johnson.

Snicker :)

I'm not sure of the benefits of this, the documentation doesn't show how the Mhz display is shown on screen, just some photoshopped graphic overlaid onto a photo of the item.
Also there is a warning about using on nitrocellulose finishes.
h

I think that's just a liability thing to cover their behind. The label actually says to be careful with essentially every finish out there - all lacquer types, oil, polyurethane, nitro, etc - general advice I've always heard is don't leave a rubber clamp staY on a finish for an excessive amount of time

Nice idea, but have a couple of concerns

Think tuning with the tuning fork sounds like a nice idea to help train your ear. My ear is not so good, so probably would be a good benefit for me.

Only 2 concerns for me are, I have mostly low G ukes, so then this wont work on the low G string. And the other issue is that I would be worried about scratching or marring a nice finish on some of my nicer ukes by holding the vibrating metal fork against the soundboard all the time. But, could do this on the other strings and use it on the ukes where I am not worried on the finish.

It should also be remembered that a tuner like the snark can be a lot more than just a tuner. You can use it to help you train your ear. You can use it to diagnostics on your uke set up. Etc. You can have an electronic tuner and a tuning fork.

Agreed, and I previously stated this already in my closing sentence about using a tuning fork in post #7 above in case you thought I was only advocating one over the other...:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?114781-New-Snark-HZ-1&p=1767055#post1767055

Top Bottom