Koa Flea or Kiwaya KS-1

Astein2006

Reaction score
Im ready to buy. Would you get the Koa Flea or the Kiwaya KS-1 and why? This is my first Uke purchase.

Equal, but different. Both are precise, loud and sturdy, and cost about the same. Both are rather no-frills, and don't come with a gigbag.

The Kiwaya has one fret more (15 instead of 14), a wooden fretboard and a way thinner neck, but the main difference is in taste: the definitly modern look of the flea versus the definitly traditional look of the Kiwaya.

I heard the tuners on the Kiwaya KS-1 are not that good and was thinking if I got that one that I would upgrade to the UPT tuners. Thoughts on that? Also are the tuners on the Koa Flea any good?

KS1 all the way, smooth as butter, wonderful playability and a wonderful tone. Very different sound to a flea, less boom and more refined. I love the flea but Kiwaya is in another league for sound IMO.

Just to add another consideration - the Martin OXK is about the same price. It is another equal but different, better built, non solid wood uke option.

Strap buttons or grip strips would be recommended on a first ukulele, too. You have enough to contend with without trying to hold it as well.

The OXK can easily have strap buttons installed . Others might be able to chime in on whether the other two can easily have strap buttons installed.

In place of strap buttons, I know some have put grip strips on their Fleas/Flukes to hold them in place. ( I use rubbery rug pads cut to size placed behind and under my slippery Outdoor Ukulele Tenor.)

Last edited:
Billten would you swap out the stock tuners for UPT on the KS-1? Is it worth the upgrade? Would there be a weight issue to consider if I did?

I would leave it as is. I had a Kiwaya KS5 and stupidly sold it and it's the one uke i most regret selling. It was never top heavy or anything and honestly the tuners were just as smooth and well built as the rest of the uke. Get one and give it a try, i think you will love it...

Oh and i don't think the Martin is close to the Kiwaya in finish or sound. Again just my opinion... :)

I prefer the Kiwaya if you are only going to have one uke, but Fleas are a great choice too. If you eventually expect to buy a second uke, go with the Flea because you can bring it anywhere. If you only plan to have one uke, ever, then the Kiwaya is a fine choice. I have five ukes, including a Kiwaya and a Flea, and I wouldn't part with either. Personally I prefer the cheapest Flea I can get. I just saw a used one on the forum for around $100. The koa top doesn't add anything for me. Also, with a Snark I can make do with any stock tuner.

I prefer the Kiwaya if you are only going to have one uke, but Fleas are a great choice too. If you eventually expect to buy a second uke, go with the Flea because you can bring it anywhere. If you only plan to have one uke, ever, then the Kiwaya is a fine choice.

While I am huge fan of Flukes, Fleas and Fireflys, and happily own a lovely and exquisitely built, playing and sounding Walnut Neck/Rosewood Fretboard Concert Firefly, along with a Custom Koa Tenor Fluke on order that should be on the the way to me so as it nears it's build completion. However, this is where I agree with you that if I were about to purchase either another regular or long neck Soprano, the Kiwaya would by my choice at this moment based on spending time recently comparing several models up and down their price points. I would even consider a Kiwaya if I were shopping for a Concert or Tenor as well, I am that impressed by them and may follow thru my research with a purchase when I recover some of my recent Uke additions...

Equal, but different. Both are precise, loud and sturdy, and cost about the same. Both are rather no-frills, and don't come with a gigbag.

The Kiwaya has one fret more (15 instead of 14), a wooden fretboard and a way thinner neck, but the main difference is in taste: the definitly modern look of the flea versus the definitly traditional look of the Kiwaya.

Actually, the Koa Flea comes with the hardwood fretboard as standard.

My main Ukes are a Flea, a Fluke, and a Firefly. The Magic Fluke company pretty much gets it right every time. Their instruments are made in the USA from locally sourced materials by some of the nicest, most helpful people on the planet.

The intonation, playability, and durability of Fleas and Flukes is legendary and they also, in my opinion, have the highest "fun to play" rating of any Ukulele on the market today. I can't imagine a better first Uke (or even only Uke) for almost anyone.

Three years ago, for my 50th birthday, my Wife, Son, and Mom said I could spend up to $400 on a new Uke for my present. I custom ordered a concert Tie-Dyed Flea with Rosewood fretboard, Lucy's rainbow tuners, a hard shell case, and a copy of The Daily Ukulele.

Thus endeth the sales pitch:)

Scooter

The fleas and Kiwayas are amongst my favorite production ukes in which I have many of both. I have a Koa concert flea which comes with the hardwood fret board and the Koa top is stunning IMO and wonderful sound! I had them install the KK pick-up when I ordered. I also have a Kiwaya KS-5 (laminate Koa)- it has friction gold tuners which seem fine to me- no problems at all. This Kiwaya sounds wonderful also. The acton on both are perfect, the neck profiles are different, but actually they are some of my favorites. If possible, I would try them both before you choose.

Actually, the Koa Flea comes with the hardwood fretboard as standard.

If a wood freboard is standard on the koa Flea, that would be a big plus in my book. I could be happy with a Flea as my only uke, with any top wood, as long as it had a wood fretboard. I like the plastic fretboard fine, but I have a little trouble seeing the frets. Anyway, both of your choices will serve you well.

Yes the Koa flea has a wood fretboard as standard. I appreciate all the help and advice. I think I'm going with the Kiwaya first and then I know I want the flea a few months later. I guess this is the start of my UAS.

The only other thing I would point out is that the KS-1 has a laminate top, and the Koa Flea top is solid. A not insignificant difference.

Welcome to the wonderful world of UAS!

Scooter

I had been considering waiting and getting the Kiwaya KTS-4. Would take me another two months. Not sure if it would be worth it over the KS-1 the extra dough. Any thoughts?

I had been considering waiting and getting the Kiwaya KTS-4. Would take me another two months. Not sure if it would be worth it over the KS-1 the extra dough. Any thoughts?

I would definitely say the KTS-4 would be worth the wait since you're considering it. If you bought the KS-1 now, I all but guarantee you would be yearning to upgrade to the KTS-4 anyhow...

Yes the Koa flea has a wood fretboard as standard. I appreciate all the help and advice. I think I'm going with the Kiwaya first and then I know I want the flea a few months later. I guess this is the start of my UAS.

Before ordering my own Custom Koa Fluke, I played another extensively and loved it! Simply becuase I was personally visited the Magic Fluke Co. and Phyliss Webb (Dale's wife and company co-owner) personally assisted and allowed my to hand select the Koa top wood and the fretboard wood to be used on a custom build is the reason I decided to order one instead of buying an already built example.

Make no mistake, even their lower priced instruments are hand build with the same great attention to detail they put into their higher spec's models. Even with all the upgraded options of peghead tuned, solid wood tops and B-Band electronics, the price is still crazy competitive for these great ukuleles that excel in comparison to many Ukes in and above their price points... Bottom line you can't go wrong with having either a flea and a Kiwaya. Nothing wrong with having one of each either..:cool:

Before ordering my own Custom Koa Fluke, I played another extensively and loved it! Simply becuase I was personally visited the Magic Fluke Co. and Phyliss Webb (Dale's wife and company co-owner) personally assisted and allowed my to hand select the Koa top wood and the fretboard wood to be used on a custom build is the reason I decided to order one instead of buying an already built example.

Make no mistake, even their lower priced instruments are hand build with the same great attention to detail they put into their higher spec's models. Even with all the upgraded options of peghead tuned, solid wood tops and B-Band electronics, the price is still crazy competitive for these great ukuleles that excel in comparison to many Ukes in and above their price points... Bottom line you can't go wrong with having either a flea and a Kiwaya. Nothing wrong with having one of each either..:cool:
I definitely plan on getting the Koa Flea as well. It seems so much more worth it to get it over the base model because for only say $120 more you get the Koa top, wood fretboard and bridge. What do you think of the stock tuners, are they friction? Should I upgrade to the pegheds?

I definitely plan on getting the Koa Flea as well. It seems so much more worth it to get it over the base model because for only say $120 more you get the Koa top, wood fretboard and bridge. What do you think of the stock tuners, are they friction? Should I upgrade to the pegheds?

any way you can live with the friction tuners for a while then get the pegheads if you like? Many of us don't mind the friction tuners at all.

Unless you absolutely hate friction tuners I would say save your money. I have had the peg head tuners on one of my fleas and they were great. All of my other fleas/flukes I have upgraded to the Grover B 4 ($12.50 additional cost instead of $69 additional cost for the peg heads). They work perfect IMO. I may not play my flea /fluke for months and when I pick up to play again it is still in tune. I also have these tuners on my DaSilva #34 soprano with the same results.

Top Bottom