A request for more open mics!

thejumpingflea

Reaction score
Hey UU'ers,

For all that missed it, there was an AWESOME open mic tonight. So much great talent, it really made my weekend.

Guting blew my mind with his "Random", Dominic and Jeeper (the twin beards) had that awesome folk/acoustic sound with their vocals, mcrmt (sp?) played great, as did all the other players! Literally every act I saw was great. Kudos to SBB for playing Something and Russ did great closing!

I think we should have one of these monthly! (or every other week!) It is a great experiences for the performers; they get more experience playing live and gain more confidence in their playing, and it is also great for the listeners; they get to hear great music, and learn more about the uke! Not only this, but having these more often will allow more people to do them. (Maybe one month they can't, but the next they can) It will also get more attention to the UU I think.

I just wanted to see if other people agreed with me!

~TJF

w00t! Yeah. I did much better in my afterparty broadcast. hahah. That was honestly my first live video feed performance, and I should've tackled something less complicated. I learned. Let's do it again!

I would LOVE to see more open mics! But we have to keep in mind that Aldrine, Ryan, and Aaron run and do everything UU-related on their own free time so we have to take their schedules into consideration. If they can fit in more, then of course I'd watch! :D I had a blast seeing all the talent tonight. You are all AWSOME!

Hey UU'ers,

For all that missed it, there was an AWESOME open mic tonight. So much great talent, it really made my weekend.

Guting blew my mind with his "Random", Dominic and Jeeper (the twin beards) had that awesome folk/acoustic sound with their vocals, mcrmt (sp?) played great, as did all the other players! Literally every act I saw was great. Kudos to SBB for playing Something and Russ did great closing!

I think we should have one of these monthly! (or every other week!) It is a great experiences for the performers; they get more experience playing live and gain more confidence in their playing, and it is also great for the listeners; they get to hear great music, and learn more about the uke! Not only this, but having these more often will allow more people to do them. (Maybe one month they can't, but the next they can) It will also get more attention to the UU I think.

I just wanted to see if other people agreed with me!

~TJF

couldn't agree more!

yeh i would like to actually BE in one.

we have to keep in mind that Aldrine, Ryan, and Aaron run and do everything UU-related on their own free time so we have to take their schedules into consideration.

Maybe we can spark some third-party to fill in when they're busy. I did a ustream broadcast after the show. No more solos for me for a while. :rofl:

ARGH... Was repairing my old ukulele and completely forgot about this. :rolleyes:

Maybe we can spark some third-party to fill in when they're busy. I did a ustream broadcast after the show. No more solos for me for a while. :rofl:

Not a bad idea!

And I thought you did fine tonight! Look at how many people watched verses how many participated. It takes ballz to get up there. If I had a webcam, I don't know if I'd be brave enough to do it. On top of that, you were picking the melody of the song which is harder than to sing it and strum (IMO. Other people might find it harder the other way around, I don't know.) But I think it was just your nerves and who could blame you, right? :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. This was the first time we tried to use this set up (Skype / ustream). In the past we used Mogulus to do these things but, mogulus requires really fast internet and thats something we haven't had access to since we all moved back from Oahu.

There was a lot of mixups and technical difficulties but i think now that we got the first one out of the way, the future ones should run much more smoothly. Probably I'll have Aldrine host it while I operate the "production truck". Thank you to everyone who performed, I know how nerve racking it can be even in front of a streaming audience. I remember my first performance I couldn't stop my legs from shaking. You all did great and I hope you will all turn out again for the next one.

If you have any suggestions or comments please feel free to contribute to this thread.

Mahaloz everybody, you peeps are the best.

i agree on the more open mics! i also agree on finding someone to help out! i host open mic EVERY wed here in Kansas City.. and it can be hard at times!

i am curious to know how ustream and skype worked together... after the show.. i played with ustream on my own.. and i was able to put up video of me live.. but i am curious to know how one links the sype with ustream.. it looked almost like a desktop sharing? but with SOUND..

i know i would be willing to help!

i just LOVED THIS!! it was so cool to get to CHAT LIVE with all the people that i have been meeting in the past two moths.. and to see the big UU main guys and have them say nice words bout me.. that was way cool!

so yeah.. LOVED IT!!!!!!! it made my weekend!!!!! 100 people tuned in? wow!!

d

I can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday evening. I skipped hanging out with buddies for this, and it was very very worth it. Whatever we have to do to make it monthly, lets do it.

Everyone really rocked.

First of all I'd like to say that everyone who participated did an awesome job. We really have quite the pool of talent here on UU.

As far as doing it more often, I'm not too sure. Things do get a little hectic while trying to do the show. Ryan was stressing out the whole time trying to sound check everyone and making sure the chat was troll-free. He did an awesome job and I'm sure that there will be more to come. The time zones are a little tricky though since the internet open mic is open worldwide. I think that doing it every so often would give people a heads up on the upcoming ones.

Keep voicing out your opinions, comments, and whatever else is on your mind. We'll put them all into consideration and try our best to make this site even better for everyone.

ARGH... Was repairing my old ukulele and completely forgot about this. :rolleyes:

Man, the secret is Twitter. Get an account and subscribe to @UkeUnderground on twitter (www.twitter.com/ukeunderground), then set it up so that their updates get texted to your phone. I got my twitter alert for the open mic and was on UU immediately. I love Twitter.

I swear, if had an IPO (which it won't since it'll probably get purchased by Google or some other web company), I would invest in Twitter. (so in the case of an acquisition I'd just invest in the acquiring company...let me know if you've got solid inside info. :D) Twitter is great.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the open mic was great, with the exception of the Jesus trolls. Speaking of Jesus trolls...check out this off topic link.
http://media.www.kaleo.org/media/st...Cain-3664879.shtml?refsource=collegeheadlines

No prob bro. You won't miss Guting. Man he owned it.

First two were Jumping Flea and dominicfoundthemoon. It's a shame because they both were really great. I can't believe Jumping flea's uke is still in one piece, cuz he shredded it.

Top Bottom