Just another MT thread.

Rllink

Reaction score
Last spring I was at the Ace True Value hardware store here, and they have a book exchange. So I found a couple of guitar books, one is Everything About Guitar Scales, by Wilbur M. Savidge, and I exchanged a couple of other books for them. So this month, I've been hitting this book hard. No, I'm not learning to play the guitar, but this book is full of Music Theory as it pertains to guitars, and it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to adapt it to the ukulele. Besides, the first half is Music Theory, and I don't know whether it is the way he explains and illustrates it, or if I've just gotten to the point in my journey where it is all coming together, but I am getting a lot from this book. A lot on chords, and their construction. The last half is just different scales, but for some reason he explains them is such a way, that it all makes a lot of sense, and again, it isn't hard to adapt them to the uke. There is also a fair amount of information on different ways to fret the scales as you go up and down them, and up and down the fretboard. Again, easily adapted. There is some music history, which actually is helpful in understanding what is going on, and there is a part about rhythm.

OK, I have been struggling with this kind of stuff for a long time. I don't know what the difference is, but it is all just coming together, and actually, adapting it all from guitar in the book to ukulele is an exercise in itself. I've been having a blast with it, and as a result, I've seen a lot of improvement in my ability to hear the chords and the notes in songs. Just thought that I would share that.

IMAG0299.jpg

Last edited:
Good post.
I just recently started learning to play classical guitar.
Many things that I am learning on the classical can be used in my uke playing as well. And vice verse.
I was quite surprised as to how much transfers. Especially when it comes to proper hand placement, proper fingering techniques, etc.

Top Bottom