Seeking quality concert for one of my students

deschutestrout

Reaction score
Hey all. I have the pleasure of teaching the after school uke class in our small town. A have a half dozen youngsters, some of whom are rather talented. I have one new student in particular I'm very impressed with ... natural talent, and more importantly, dedicated to practice. He's using a loaner uke now (Makala) but I believe he'd really shine with his own uke. His family doesn't have a lot of $ to spend, but his mom gave me the go-ahead to search for a good uke for him. Around $100 +/- would be awesome. Just testing the waters here. Let me know whatcha got :). Thanks for supporting our small town uke program and students! Mark

I suggest you call HMS, Mim, Mainland, Uke Republic. See what they have. Maybe a second? I got a second from Mainland. I still haven't found the blemish.

Thanks for these suggestions folks ... I was hoping for a used one in good condition that someone was wanting to part with, that "may" be even better quality than I can purchase new for that $. I'm researching 2nds, and the links you've sent. Thanks again UU gang, I really appreciate your replies!

Suggest you look at Guitar Center's Used instruments. They have some good buys on Lanikai, Córdoba and other ukes...often close to half price off original store price (not retail)...you have 90 days to return it to your local Guitar Center if you don't like it. The only initial extra charges are for tax and about $10 for shipping. I truly think this might be better than buying a second or blemished uke. Just pick out one in excellent condition. Good luck!! Mike

I would also recommend that you look at the thread "Lanikai Blems on EBay" in the Uke Talk section. A few of us have been discussing our perceived value of getting a blemish instrument from Butler Music who seems to sell truckloads.
I bought three myself a while ago for a lot less than your top budget as gifts. They turned out to be quite decent for an inexpensive instrument IMO.

Top Bottom