Why so many used enors for sale ?

jaunedeau

Reaction score
When you go to (guitar) shops, they mainly stock soprano ukulele. When you look at used ukulele for sale, you mainly see tenors.

Do people buy a first soprano that they like and keep, then try to buy a Tenor and sell it ?
Do people own plenty of tenors hence sell lot ?

Are there more sopranos / concert for sell but I get the wrong feeling there are more tenors ?

Because tenors are the most popular and many usually do upgrades to sell to finance their new ukulele

My first ukulele about two years ago was a soprano before I knew about sizes, but when I was having trouble holding chords, I researched and immediately went to tenor and sold the soprano. In the next 18 months I wet through 16, all tenors, down to my 4 favorites. So obviously I contributed to the glut of tenors on the market.

Because enors are basically tenors with a factory default? :)

Last edited:
Maybe its a matter of price?

A shop that sells a used Soprano that was $80 new.. might get $50, of which $40 might go to the owner/consignment.
A $300 tenor, might sell for $220, of which 180 goes to the consignment. The soprano nets the shop $10, while the tenor gets $40 while both take about the same amount of rackspace.

Just a guess. I don't really know.

This is just my "guess"...

I think that "guitar" shops can sell sopranos easier for a first instrument or if parents want to buy one for their kids. They take up little room and are generally inexpensive especially if you are talking about the ones in the $50 or less range.

What happens after that is hard to say, but I really doubt any shop will be taking in many or any of these inexpensive sopranos back as trade-ins. This is if we are talking a guitar shop and not a folk instrument shop that specializes in various acoustic instruments.

But a guitar shop may take in a tenor as a trade-in because they can make money on it and it is not competing with the inexpensive sopranos.

John

If someone were to tell you there were three fantastic diamonds in my 6 moth old pile of horse droppings, how much of it would you go through before you found all three? If you didn't like diamonds, you probably wouldn't go through any of it for any reason. but on the other hand------ and that's why there are some ---- but not all tenors in abundance on several different sites.... someone is still looking for maybe the first or second or third diamond. Some might even keep looking thinking that perhaps someone had miscounted how many there really were in the pile.

Top Bottom