Cure's Love Song - damping technique

redsedge

Reaction score
Aldrine mentions a previous lesson where he demonstrates damping with the little finger - can anyone please direct me to this, or help. I've got the strumming pattern, can pick a mean solo but cannot seem to play the chords properly with my little finger hovering over the frets. Or is it just practice, practice, practice?

Aldrine mentions a previous lesson where he demonstrates damping with the little finger - can anyone please direct me to this, or help. I've got the strumming pattern, can pick a mean solo but cannot seem to play the chords properly with my little finger hovering over the frets. Or is it just practice, practice, practice?

As you said, it is basically practice practice practice.

Aldrine shows exactly how to practice it in one of his videos though. Basically, what he said to do is just practice with the little finger muting all the strings the whole time while you change your chord positions. Continue to strum while keeping the pinky in place. This will really help you get used to it. Then work your chords in by lifting the pinky on the appropriate beat. Just keep at it! you'll get it sooner than you think :D

Last edited:
Yeah, hitting that g chord while muting with the pinky had my fingers doing some kind of retard dance. I lost complete control of my pinky. It got a little better but still not there yet.

i want to say it was in his iamhawaii.com lesson number 2, with the jason mraz song...I'd check, but my puter is going too slow right now...

but I have major problems doing the G to F back to G part...i can do it with the strings muted the entire time, but when I start lifting that pinky, all bets are lossed.

Thank you everybody - it's good to know I'm not alone! It's getting better and your replies have helped keep me motivated. Cheers :)

Top Bottom