Taking on the World, Four Strings at a Time

Sammu

Reaction score
Dear Fellow Pluckers!
Dr Liz Price from the University of Hull in the UK is exploring the ways in which music making might both protect and enhance mental and physical well being. The principal focus of the survey is the ukulele. This is what Dr Liz says about the research project... (Thank You all for taking the time to read and consider this!!!)

Hi Everyone,
In addition to being a fellow plucker, I am also a social scientist, working in the School of Social Sciences at the University of Hull (UK) and I wondered if you might be able to take a couple of minutes to help with a piece of work I am currently undertaking.
I am hoping to attract funding for a further piece of research which will use the ukulele as a tool in interventions for people who are experiencing mental distress. As it stands, however, there is very little ‘hard’ evidence that the ukulele provides any positive benefits to those who play (by contrast, there is much anecdotal evidence which suggests the benefits are very real and lasting).
This short survey (which has been granted ethical clearance by the relevant Research Ethics Committee at the University of Hull) will, I hope, begin to generate an evidence base that will allow for further work in this area. It should only take a few minutes to complete, but your contribution would help immensely.

https://hull.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/taking-on-the-world-four-strings-at-a-time

Done. As a fellow social scientist, I'd love to see some data to back up how I feel about the instrument and how it has helped me.

Done. Glad to help.

Done :D ukulele has helped me immensely, it always lifts me out of a depression and it soothes my anxiety no end, I really hope this goes somewhere good!

Done, and done!

Sounds like a great project. Thanks for letting me participate.

Scooter

Done (but I couldn't get to the page with my older version of Safari on my Mac and Flash removed, had to use Chrome.)

Done! Thanks for your great contribution to the science!

Very nice survey. I'd be interested in the results.

I suspect that while we have taken different routes to the ukulele, there are probably very similar reasons why we have all stayed.

John

Thanks to all those who have supported this! I am just trying to help spread the word as it seems like a worthwhile project. I will certainly try and post the findings. Sam x

Done. I love the ukulele and believe I it's benefits. I think the ukulele community is great. Everyone should play. All levels welcome. Love to see results of study in future.

I completed it as well. I was glad to see potential research in this area.

Count my voice as having completed this survey. The purpose and intent are definitely something I will support and think is VERY important.

Sammu, thanks for sharing this here, as I would not have had the opportunity to participate otherwise.

Interesting survey. I replied. Would be interested to hear the findings when all finished. Good luck with the survey and analysis.

Completed the survey... Would be interested in your findings, but my guess is the theme is that the uke brings much joy to many!

Top Bottom