Unexpected NUD: Hoffmann ML Concert

Rakelele

Reaction score
My wife has wanted an ML Style Concert from Jerry Hoffmann back when they were still branded Boat Paddle, but when I contacted Jerry, he told me that he wasn't taking any custom orders at that time. So it was great for us to see this very ML Concert showing up at HMS a couple of weeks ago. Here is Aaron's review and sound sample:

https://vimeo.com/142479780

The Uke has arrived earlier this week, and we are both stunned by everything it has to offer. Craftmanship is extremely precise. We love the whole design, from the special body shape right up to its understated, yet classy adornments. It features an Adirondack Red Spruce top, Macassar Ebony back and sides, Koa Binding on the body, fretboard, headstock, and rosette, very clean gloss finish, and black Gotoh Planetary Tuners.

As you can see, this isn't your regular figure 8 style Soprano, and it doesn't sound like that either. We were hoping for Tenor-like depth and sustain, but at a more relaxed, shorter scale, and this one is getting close. I guess that large lower bout, along with the specific combination of woods, really helps with that.

Thanks to the guys at HMS and to Jerry Hoffmann for making such a nice instrument.

Hoffmann_ML_Concert_01.jpg Hoffmann_ML_Concert_02.jpg

Very beautiful and your comments on it are especially meaningful given your collection of very fine Ukes.

Congratulations, another wonderful ML in the hands of someone who will love her. Jerry Hoffmann's ML's just never get old. Every one I see is a gorgeous instrument.

Yay! It is sort of like a cousin to mine! Same top and back and sides, great combo for the ML style as well! Have fun.

Beautiful ukulele. Sounds so nice.

I really like the Boat Paddle now Hoffman ML ukuleles. I remember watching that video when I was looking for ML tenor samples.

Congrats!

John

Rainer your collecrion of world class ukuleles is certainly expanding. Rating Hoffman right up there is certainly high praise from someone who has "something else" to compare it to. Congratulations, it is a spectacular instrument and will give both of you a lot of enjoyment.

Thank you all for sharing our excitement. This one has really made us enjoy the Concert size again. When we heard it in the video, we didn't hesitate long, and literally ordered right from our bed.

Recstar, our Ukes are like cousins: that's what I thought, too, when I saw yours. As a matter of fact, having seen yours was one of the reasons why we were so confident in ordering, so thanks!

holy moly. i listened to aaron's clip and it has a lot of resonance. how wide is the body at its maximum? i never really got the renaissance look of the boat paddles until right now. this is about a maximal lower bout?
the ebony doesn't hurt either. what sound. congrats.

Rainer.

I am definitely bringing the family over for a visit! Beautiful Ukulele.

Congratulations.

What an extraordinary acquisition! What a wonderful uke they are! Big congratulations!

holy moly. i listened to aaron's clip and it has a lot of resonance. how wide is the body at its maximum? i never really got the renaissance look of the boat paddles until right now. this is about a maximal lower bout?
the ebony doesn't hurt either. what sound. congrats.

The lower bout is about 230 mm wide, like on most of my Tenors, and about 20 mm wider than on most other Concerts. This is probably about as big as a Concert will get. Indeed, that is what made me interested in the Boat Paddle / Hoffmann ML shape in the first place: an instrument with the scale length of a Concert, but a body resonance more like a Tenor. I think this design is working really well.

I am definitely bringing the family over for a visit! Beautiful Ukulele.

Sure, Simon! Get on over here, and bring the family. I hope you're counting your nice Ukes to be family, too... :)

The lower bout is about 230 mm wide, like on most of my Tenors, and about 20 mm wider than on most other Concerts. This is probably about as big as a Concert will get. Indeed, that is what made me interested in the Boat Paddle / Hoffmann ML shape in the first place: an instrument with the scale length of a Concert, but a body resonance more like a Tenor. I think this design is working really well.

On my tenor, the widest area of the lower bout is very baritone like. The ML style seems to be a reverse of the "long neck" idea, where the ML features a normal sized neck scale with a significantly wider soundboard area.

On my tenor, the widest area of the lower bout is very baritone like. The ML style seems to be a reverse of the "long neck" idea, where the ML features a normal sized neck scale with a significantly wider soundboard area.

More like a Selmer guitar

recstar

i take it that the width adds sound depth in the tenor size. how would you describe the resonance?

recstar

i take it that the width adds sound depth in the tenor size. how would you describe the resonance?

As another ML owner, I'd say that they have a very full and prolonged resonance. Many of the people that I play with agree it's one of the best Ukuleles they have heard.

That's a beautiful uke, it's great when a talented crafts person designs outside the box so to speak.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom