A Year in the Life of a Beginner

Gritz

Reaction score
Hello All,

First, I will say this Forum and UU site has been immensely motivating and helpful in my journey in playing the Uke. So thank you!

In the summer of 2014, we were on Kaua'i (my wife's birthplace and island we frequently visit), and I felt that it was a time in my life that I could spend learning the Uke which has always sort of called to me.

So I left the island with a LowG concert Komoa. For the rest of the summer I tried to teach myself from a plethera of guides...all of which were great...but overwhelming. So I decided I needed some guidance and found a local music shop where a gent could teach the basics of uke and provide a great lesson in music theory.

Now, I had not done anything musical in 37 years...when my mother would forcibably make me practice the organ....Ugh.

The six months I spent with the instructor were great, but I felt toward the end that he was no longer providing information and there lacked structure....so it had run its course. By then I had built a very organized book of music to play.

Now, I have returned to self-teaching method and bounce erratically between books...but settle on patterns, progressions, and melodies that I can master.

I practice everyday. If I miss a day or two....I really miss playing! I been fortunate to collect some really great ukes (KoAloha, Kamaka, Ukulele Rythmns, and am patiently waiting for my twin MyaMoes!).

I suck at singing...so I tend to not really interest myself in the strum along songs. I have focused on studies in fingerstyle...from Classical, to Aaron Keim's traditional, and everything in between.

I have even tried my hand at making a few ukuleles....the finishes look like a one armed gorilla made his first attempt at a French finish using a german guidebook.

Anyway, Just was in the mood to share and wanted to have something to post and contribute to the forum.

Thanks...hopefully I can be more of a contributor on the forum!

Ed

if you haven't already used the Ukulele Boot Camp materials, please feel free to access them via the link in my signature below!

keep uke'in', :)

Wonderful to hear of how many different directions the Uke has taken you in!

Hello All,

First, I will say this Forum and UU site has been immensely motivating and helpful in my journey in playing the Uke. So thank you!

In the summer of 2014, we were on Kaua'i (my wife's birthplace and island we frequently visit), and I felt that it was a time in my life that I could spend learning the Uke which has always sort of called to me.

So I left the island with a LowG concert Komoa. For the rest of the summer I tried to teach myself from a plethera of guides...all of which were great...but overwhelming. So I decided I needed some guidance and found a local music shop where a gent could teach the basics of uke and provide a great lesson in music theory.

Now, I had not done anything musical in 37 years...when my mother would forcibably make me practice the organ....Ugh.

The six months I spent with the instructor were great, but I felt toward the end that he was no longer providing information and there lacked structure....so it had run its course. By then I had built a very organized book of music to play.

Now, I have returned to self-teaching method and bounce erratically between books...but settle on patterns, progressions, and melodies that I can master.

I practice everyday. If I miss a day or two....I really miss playing! I been fortunate to collect some really great ukes (KoAloha, Kamaka, Ukulele Rythmns, and am patiently waiting for my twin MyaMoes!).

I suck at singing...so I tend to not really interest myself in the strum along songs. I have focused on studies in fingerstyle...from Classical, to Aaron Keim's traditional, and everything in between.

I have even tried my hand at making a few ukuleles....the finishes look like a one armed gorilla made his first attempt at a French finish using a german guidebook.

Anyway, Just was in the mood to share and wanted to have something to post and contribute to the forum.

Thanks...hopefully I can be more of a contributor on the forum!

Ed

Where have you found the most help with fingerstyle? Thanks :)

Where have you found the most help with fingerstyle? Thanks :)

You should try John Kings' classical ukulele, it starts off with simpler tunes and works its' way up and it's really easy to tinker around with/take at your own pace :)

jot,

I found Aaron Kleim's materials to be the bulk of what I have practiced with. I also picked up Pekelo's Hawaiian Ukulele Method Volume I and II in Kauai the last time I was there. Between those two sources there has been enough to work on for a few years! I also work at a few peices that I enjoy.....Guava Jam, Something (Beatles), and any Chris Isaak I can get my hands on. The Dominator has an EXCELLENT website with tons of music!

Ed

if you haven't already used the Ukulele Boot Camp materials, please feel free to access them via the link in my signature below!

keep uke'in', :)

This is the first I have seen the Uncle Rod method. I am impressed with it; the teaching methodology and presentation. Well done. Someone understands student need. There are many talented players, but the gift of teaching is critical. This person has it.

Top Bottom