Backpacker Travel Ukulele

DanielHulbert

Reaction score
I built this uke for a friend going on a multi-year hiking trek.

FullSizeRender.jpg

It's an even more slimmed down version of this other design.

back.jpg

Since it doesn't have a pickup, I put on a back to boost the sound a little bit.

IMG_3626.jpg

I put a working compass inlay in the neck.

IMG_3634.jpg

It has a 15 inch scale length, but its overall length is only 17.5 inches.

Here's a video with more info and a demo:

That looks awesome Daniel! Your creations are always very impressive :)

Is the string turnaround pre-made, or do your use a slab of billet aluminum turned on a lathe and make it yourself?

Where can I buy a few of those string turn-arounds?

Having had my tattoo apprenticeship from a real old time tattoo shop I learned exactally how much the early tattooers had to repurpose many items from other areas to make the tools we use. As a simple nod of the hat to the old timers I myself have never bought a manufactured clip cord, redesigning an early design that used a brittle safety pin and a piece of bakelite with one that uses a piece of an unused needle bar and small block of wood.

I must admit the proliferation of professional style tattoo equipment available usually leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. When I was first pursuing an apprenticeship not that long ago you didn't get access to the tools unless you were know by someone. But to get back on point and show how this all is still on topic.

Not a fan myself of anodized aluminum grips myself I really enjoy seeing an item repurposed in such an original creative way used to make something very cool and incapable of creating unwanted damage to others. The old school tattoo innovators would look at this and smile.

Having had my tattoo apprenticeship from a real old time tattoo shop I learned exactally how much the early tattooers had to repurpose many items from other areas to make the tools we use. As a simple nod of the hat to the old timers I myself have never bought a manufactured clip cord, redesigning an early design that used a brittle safety pin and a piece of bakelite with one that uses a piece of an unused needle bar and small block of wood.

I must admit the proliferation of professional style tattoo equipment available usually leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. When I was first pursuing an apprenticeship not that long ago you didn't get access to the tools unless you were know by someone. But to get back on point and show how this all is still on topic.

Not a fan myself of anodized aluminum grips myself I really enjoy seeing an item repurposed in such an original creative way used to make something very cool and incapable of creating unwanted damage to others. The old school tattoo innovators would look at this and smile.

I like what you've said here.

Without that grip being available, I'd be looking at a wooden dowel rod, or a round aluminum rod, either in about 1" diameter, and would use a V-shaped file to make the grooves around it's circumference, and then smooth them with an old wound guitar string.

I am glad for the fact that they exist via ebay since for that price you are getting a qty of 8, and it would save me like an hour of time to make it myself.

One of my favorite items to be re-purposed that I've seen was for someone that created a home-made resonator uke and used a shallow dog bowl for the resonator and the spade end-part of a kitchen spatula for a tailpiece, both of which were garage sale finds for $1-$2. A 5/8" bolt with the head cut off was used for the saddle, and an 1/8" bolt with the head cut off was used for the nut. Very much home-brew, but I recall that it sounded great on the youtube video I saw.

Those tattoo grips are really handy.

If you want to make your own, you either need a larger diameter or a hard substance. I've tried using a 3/4 inch oak dowel, but the strings start to dig into the wood.

I've planning on using a friend's lathe to making some other turnarounds with something hard like water buffalo horn or plastic so I can build a guitar size with this design. Or make a uke with different string spacing at the bridge.

I absolutely ADORE this travel Uke, Daniel and commented on it on FB as well.

Shesh, so practical and yet so elegant.

Please, please, please do let us know if you plan to make anymore to sell!

I absolutely ADORE this travel Uke, Daniel and commented on it on FB as well.

Shesh, so practical and yet so elegant.

Please, please, please do let us know if you plan to make anymore to sell!

I might do a limited run next year. I'm not planning on starting any significant projects for the rest this year because my wife is having our 4th child in 2 weeks. :eek:

Wow. 4 kids in two weeks. Most people space them out more.

Oh yes, nice uke. Minimalist, but has everything it needs, and skillfully done.

Wow. 4 kids in two weeks. Most people space them out more.

LOLOLOL! I just about wet myself laughing at this!

As a parent of six children, let me say that four is a challenge but you're up to it. Which also means that you should be able to build more of these ukes with no problem! Please? I REALLY want one! Really really want one!

LOLOLOL! I just about wet myself laughing at this!

As a parent of six children, let me say that four is a challenge but you're up to it. Which also means that you should be able to build more of these ukes with no problem! Please? I REALLY want one! Really really want one!

Keep on eye on some of the links in my signature block. I may post about ukes for sale there next year.

I wonder if those grips would work in a Risa Stick...

Top Bottom