Martin OXK

ukuleleden

Reaction score
I typically lean toward going with at least a solid wood top, but as many here already know, there are some great sounding laminate designs out there that really measure up to some solid-wood instruments. But I revisited a previous consideration for a new Soprano. The Martin OXK for $279.00 delivered. Has to be one of the better values on the market, in my opinion, and this will be the Soprano I can take with me anywhere without much worry of harm to it. I looked at the OXK a few years back and wasn't overly taken by it back then as much as I am now with it. So comparing several OXK's recently at my local dealer, I have to say the OXK is superior to what I remember especially in regard to set-up. Had my local dealer been willing to price match the lower online price, I would have brought one of the three I sampled home with me. To me, the OXK has to be among the paramount values out there for the quality build and sound you receive.

Some may not agree, but I feel Martin has really nailed down the tone, volume and playability in their HPL instruments (Ukes and Guitars alike). All of those three different OXK's at my local dealer had action and intonation that were spot on, and all really sound great with nice projection/volume. While slightly heavier, that was easily overlooked whenI A:B'd it against a few solid wood sopranos that were there to compare with. It became obvious to me that the Nazareth oversight of the Mexican factory production where these HPL's are made is translating into a quality build based on what I saw in each of these OXK's in-person. I am keeping my fingers crossed the one I have coming has the same great action and intonation, and since I asked while placing the order, the online seller said they would have their tech check it out before it ships for me. So I'm relatively confident it will be fine.

Anyone else finding any appreciation for the OXK?

I typically lean toward going with at least a solid wood top, but as many here already know, there are some great sounding laminate designs out there that really measure up to some solid-wood instruments. But I revisited a previous consideration for a new Soprano. The Martin OXK for $279.00 delivered. Has to be one of the better values on the market, in my opinion, and this will be the Soprano I can take with me anywhere without much worry of harm to it. I looked at the OXK a few years back and bought and wasn't overly taken by it back then as much as I am now with it. So comparing several OXK's recently at my local dealer, I have to say the OXK is superior to what I remember especially in regard to set-up. Had my local dealer been willing to price match the lower online price, I would have brought one of the three I sampled home with me. To me, the OXK has to be among the paramount values out there for the quality build and sound you receive.

Some may not agree, but I feel Martin has really nailed down the tone, volume and playability in their HPL instruments (Ukes and Guitars alike). All of those three different OXK's at my local dealer had action and intonation that were spot on, and all really sound great with nice projection/volume. While slightly heavier, that was easily overlooked whenI A:B'd it against a few solid wood sopranos that were there to compare with. It became obvious to me that the Nazareth oversight of the Mexican factory production where these HPL's are made is translating into a quality build based on what I saw in each of these OXK's in-person. I am keeping my fingers crossed the one I have coming has the same great action and intonation, and since I asked while placing the order, the online seller said they would have their tech check it out before it ships for me. So I'm relatively confident it will be fine.

Anyone else finding any appreciation for the OXK?

I've played an OXK and like the sound of it. Sadly, I'm not a soprano aficionado. I chose a concert Flea with a plastic fretboard as "travel and other challenging circumstances" ukulele. Can't call me anti-Martin. I have a T2, T1, and C1.

Too bad for the local dealer that he lost the sale to the internet though.

I've played an OXK and like the sound of it. Sadly, I'm not a soprano aficionado. I chose a concert Flea with a plastic fretboard as "travel and other challenging circumstances" ukulele. Can't call me anti-Martin. I have a T2, T1, and C1.

Too bad for the local dealer that he lost the sale to the internet though.

Concert Flea is a great choice! Yes, I like to support my local dealer but we were over $35.00 apart even before tax and they wouldn't budge off their price whatsoever.

Nice list of Martins you have. I hope one day to maybe add a few more too..

Yeah man, size not withstanding, my OXK is the SUV/Adventure bike of ukuleles. I take on trips in all kinds of weather and it is always in tune.

I love my Martin OXK. I got mine from Elderly and the set-up is right on. To me, the OXK has its own distinct sound which I really like!

Congratulations! You are getting a great ukulele to add to your collection - which is a pretty nice one, btw.

My OXK was from Musician's Friend. They just put one of their boxes around the unopened box from the Martin factory before shipping it on to me. My previous ukuleles had been set up, and this was the first one that was not. But, I like Musician's Friend and get all my accessories from them, so I didn't have any worries about returns if it was not up to snuff. It shipped very quickly..

The OXK was fantastic right out of the box. It has been a year and I still have the original M600 strings on it, and it is still sounding good. It looks just as it did the day I took it out of the shipping box - no dings or strum marks. It is one that I highly recommend, especially if one cannot get a ukulele from a dealer that sets up. The Martin quality control is very good.

I took mine to an authorized Martin repair center and had strap buttons installed. I rub down the back of the Stratabond neck every month or so with 000 steel wool so the neck does not rub a callous onto my fretting thumb. I attribute needing to do that to humid WV weather. None of my other ukuleles bother my thumb, but the steel wool wipe down is a quick fix.

Now, I have a great "no worries" ukulele. Actually, two of them. The Outdoor Ukulele Tenor and this OxK are going to Virginia Beach with me next weekend when we go to my husband's Navy reunion. One to play and one to share. I feel very fortunate that thanks to the feedback and comments on UU these ukuleles were on my radar.

Last edited:
Yeah man, size not withstanding, my OXK is the SUV/Adventure bike of ukuleles. I take on trips in all kinds of weather and it is always in tune.

That sounds great as I Plan to use ythe OXK a lot for travel and outdoor uke events.

Thanks Laura! Your experience with your OXK sounds fantastic and is quite encouraging! Really looking forward to receiving mine which is scheduled for a Wednesday delivery.

I like them better than the Flea as an all purpose uke.

I can't find anyone in Los Angeles that sells the OXK. Guitarcenter never has them in stock.

I can't find anyone in Los Angeles that sells the OXK. Guitarcenter never has them in stock.

I called up the local store that officially sells martin ukes and they didn't even know what the OXK was.

LOVE my 0XK! Just to add to the set-up question. I did the "Behind the Scenes" tour at the Martin factory this summer (HIGHLY recommended) and saw the gear that does set-up on EVERY instrument they sell.

LOVE my 0XK! Just to add to the set-up question. I did the "Behind the Scenes" tour at the Martin factory this summer (HIGHLY recommended) and saw the gear that does set-up on EVERY instrument they sell.

Thats a great tour! We stopped there a few months back on our way back to NY from Hershey. Their tours are quite good as you get to see all stages of the build process. The machine you referenced is called the "PLEK" machine. That and the automatic buffing machines are quite the sight to see in action.

Here is a pic of the PLEK machine with a Martin Acoustic being installed. And no, Ukuleles don't get the PLEK treatment! :D

SNC16237.jpg

The OXK arrived and the action & intonation were ideal straight out of the box... Nice and clean assembly under close inspection both inside and out.

After a quick string stretch and tuning, I played it for 45 minutes right out of the box (it's hard to put nice Ukes down), here it is taking a break next to it's gig bag before it heads out the door with me and into the car. Now I will always have a ukulele with me at any given time...:
image.jpg

I forgot to mention that in comparison to the headstock label on the S1, the Martin & Co. script is not the same raised sticker that they used in the past. I'm not sure when they made this change, but it certainly is different. Time will tell if it's better or worse in terms of durability, but it looks a lot nicer and more true to the traditional appearance than that older stick-on Martin label did.

image.jpg

Top Bottom