Tenor for $350 or less

aggie182

Reaction score
The wife and I got a pretty sizable tax refund this year so we're each taking 350 and depositing the rest so we're sort of 'responsible'.

What tenor would you suggest? I have a Kala KA-C currently so I am looking to upgrade and keep the current Kala concert, which sounds decent, as a beater. I have looked around quite a bit and found several that interest me. I am not opposed to going used to get more instrument for the money, as long as the uke is in decent shape.

What would you suggest? :music:

Once again, John is here to whore out Mainland Ukuleles!

J/k

But really. I couldn't be happier with my Mainland tenor. 100% solid wood, you get to customize it a by picking the wood, finish, and tuning pegs, and it comes stock with Aquila strings. I have a long video review on my YT channel.

The mahogany tenor is $250, red cedar is $290.

mainlandukuleles.com

Once again, John is here to whore out Mainland Ukuleles!

J/k

But really. I couldn't be happier with my Mainland tenor. 100% solid wood, you get to customize it a by picking the wood, finish, and tuning pegs, and it comes stock with Aquila strings. I have a long video review on my YT channel.

The mahogany tenor is $250, red cedar is $290.

mainlandukuleles.com

Great, thanks for the response. I have heard nothing but good things about the Mainland ukes. Definitely on the short list.

i am in the same situation as you regarding getting a new tenor. i was thinking about the koa pili koko or the KA MT MANGO TENOR. i am looking for a good sounding high quality uke, and these two fit the description

i am in the same situation as you regarding getting a new tenor. i was thinking about the koa pili koko or the KA MT MANGO TENOR. i am looking for a good sounding high quality uke, and these two fit the description

I really love my Kala KA MT Mango Tenor! I started out with the GHS strings, and switched them out for Worth Clear Med., and it sounds great! I just swapped out the High G string for a Low G clear Worth, and it is even better! It is my first ukulele, but I have gone back into the stores since, and haven't been tempted to buy a more expensive uke. I did get the Kala Long Neck Soprano in the Spalted Maple with the spruce top as my second uke. It has a very different voice, a bit brighter in the high end, and sometimes harp-like. Both of these ukes were under $300.
–Lori

Kala, Mainland, Ohana, Lanikai and a few others all make good models in that price range. It's worth checking the blogs and review sites (see mine, linked below) for opinions about them.

Thanks for the input folks. I really appreciate it. Anyone have experience with the Jenny Tenors? It's solid wood and falls in my price range, so I am curious about it as well.

Check out julia nunes on youtube, she often plays that Bushman Jenny she won. Personally I think there is better sound available for the price,
but "De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum" :p

Thanks for the input folks. I really appreciate it. Anyone have experience with the Jenny Tenors? It's solid wood and falls in my price range, so I am curious about it as well.

My husband loves his Jenny Tenor. I can't talk him into letting me get him another uke (and believe me, I've tried). The only concession he has made was for a tenor eleuke I got him a few months ago.

Thanks once again for the input. Still looking around but will hopefully throw down within a week or 2.

I sure like the KALA KA-ST spruce top tenor, she sounds great, looks beautiful, and very good deal with most placing selling with case for under $200.00 including MGM.

I sure like the KALA KA-ST spruce top tenor, she sounds great, looks beautiful, and very good deal with most placing selling with case for under $200.00 including MGM.

That was my first uke and I still have it - like my first love, it has a special spot in my heart. Bust I also still play it because it has a good sound and good intonation.

Top Bottom