FS: Kamaka Ohta-San Koa with Cedar Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katz-in-Boots

Reaction score
Kamaka Ohta-San, 2013 build. Koa back & sides, Cedar top, comes with original Kamaka hard-case.
Currently sporting Fremont Blackline medium strings, including the low G. Since I bought it I had a strap button installed, ebony with MOP dot.

This is a beautiful instrument in every way. The woods are lovely, the rope rosette & purfling, mother of pearl headstock inlay, it is just gorgeous.

The sound is (to my ear) stunning. And loud! Very open, rich, warm, mellow yet with great clarity up the fingerboard.

This is what the Kamaka website says about Ohta-Sans:

“Also known as "Ohta-san," this bell-shaped ukulele was designed by Sam Kamaka Jr. and Herbert Ohta in 1965. It produces sharp, clear tones, and was designed primarily for picking purposes. Deluxe features are rosewood binding, rope purfling, and a rope rosette around the sound hole. The fingerboard and bridge are ebony.
*May request Spruce or Cedar top instead of Koa
• Overall length: 24-3/4"
• Scale length: 15-15/16"
• Total # frets: 18
• Frets to the body: 14
• MSRP: $1995”

Asking price is $2000 Australian Dollars - which on the Paypal currency exchange rate as of today, is $1487.72 in US dollars. Tomorrow that might be different. Buyer to pay freight costs (which I am guessing would be around $100 AUD, so maybe $70 US?). Paypal gifts are always appreciated.

The only blemishes I can find are pretty minor: a couple of pin head size dents on the front upper left bout, and 2-3 very light strum marks on the upper right bout (which I couldn’t get to show in a photo). The back does have a lighter patch of colour which is under the finish, the finish is not damaged in any way. I don’t know what caused that, it was like it when I got it.

I bought this via another Uuer, and have played it very little since then. I have been very reluctant to sell it because it is just amazing, but I have to accept my injured hands cannot stretch to the scale.

Having heard it played well, I know this beauty needs to go to someone who can love it as much as I, but play it much better.

Please see following posts for photos & sound samples.

Last edited:
Finally, here are some sound clips recorded yesterday by UUer formerly known as Eugene Ukulele/Hippy Dribble and now Mountain Goat. It was an absolute treat to get a live concert and to hear just how great this ukulele can sound in the right hands. These were recordings were taken with a camera, so no amplification or effects in involved.

Thanks again Jon for generously giving your time to do this for me, it really was a treat.

https://youtu.be/9RZZex5hJAo
https://youtu.be/2Ag-DVQ1ch0
https://youtu.be/B3FsbEQZokY

Sounds so wonderful--I'm sure I don't need to wish you luck with the sale. Hopefully one day I will own one of these beauties.

Fabulous looking Uke and wonderful videos from Jon. Great price. Good luck.

Sounds so wonderful--I'm sure I don't need to wish you luck with the sale. Hopefully one day I will own one of these beauties.

I second. And wish I could welcome this one home! Sounds just amazing, especially for fingerpicking as they say!

Today's Paypal exchange rate makes it $1496.53
What will it be tomorrow? This is like a dutch auction, how low will the Australian dollar go?

Also, managed to get a quote on shipping. To the US by Air, insured would be $137.55 AUD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom