Ohana CK38?

notgeorgeformby

Reaction score
Hi Folks
Christmas is coming and I'm being tempted by Uke stocking fillers. Maybe you will let me pick your brains to find the right choice.

I picked up a second hand Ohana CK20s last year and it's a smashing little uke, lots of fun to play. It's my first concert size uke and I'm thinking this size might suit me best, so wondered about upgrading to something that's a higher spec though hopefully as fun to play. I'm hearing good things about the CK38, but I'm wondering whether it's much different from the CK20. Anybody tried both?

Thanks!

Ohana's 30 series are all-solid mahoganies. I own a soprano 35 with the gloss finish (SK-35G), and absolutely love it. Great resonance and sustain. If it weren't for variations in humidity that require me to leave it in a case with a humidifier during the winter, I'd have it out all the time and play it daily. The concert 30 series should be excellent as well. Be sure to buy from one of the reputable dealers if you go online so you'll get a good setup. I've also noticed it's better suited to fluorocarbon strings than the Aquilas that tend to come standard (Martins, Worths, Living Waters are all fine choices), but that just may be me.

Thanks, Rick.:)

After posting this I noticed the CK25s on Southern Ukulele's site. It's a solid mahogany too, so I asked them what the difference was. The very helpful reply said not much, only cosmetic, so I've gone for one of them since it's a good bit cheaper. I'll report back when it arrives.

I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts on the differences. I have a CK20S and a CKP70R Vitauke, and I think they are both great! I have just invested in my first tenor though, and moved away from the Ohana to a Pono Pro Classic, so eagerly awaiting for that to arrive!

Got my new Ohana CK25s yesterday and I'm very impressed. Lovely rounded tone, but nice ringing clarity. It definitely has a fuller, more bottom end, sound than the CK-20s so well worth the upgrade, I reckon. And it plays smooth as butter.

Happy bunny. :D

I have a CK-50GS and love it. Absolutely love it.

Got my new Ohana CK25s yesterday and I'm very impressed. Lovely rounded tone, but nice ringing clarity. It definitely has a fuller, more bottom end, sound than the CK-20s so well worth the upgrade, I reckon. And it plays smooth as butter.

Happy bunny. :D

I think you made a great choice! Between two very popular brands/models (albeit different finish, headstock/tuners) I'm finding I like my Ohana CK-38 more and more each day. I also really do like my Mainland Concert Slothead Mahogany too, but the Ohana would be the one I would keep if I could only have one. Thankfully, I am not faced with the choice, so the Mainland happily stays as part of the group of ukuleles I can readily picked up at any given time.

I am interested if you have an updated sentiment now that you're over a month in your Ohana CK-25S ownership?

Last edited:
Top Bottom