Another custom concert completed - photos

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
I've had a few in these timbers requested over the last 6 months. This one off this morning to it's new owner.

Blackheart Sassafras and 3000 year old Ancient Spruce. Ebony fret board, head plates and bridge. Bindings in Indian Rosewood. K&K Aloha Twin pickup, and strung with Worth Clears.

Blackheart Sassafras Concert-7.jpgBlackheart Sassafras Concert-8.jpgBlackheart Sassafras Concert-9.jpgBlackheart Sassafras Concert-5.jpgBlackheart Sassafras Concert-4.jpg

It's a native of Tasmania, so very unlikely that you'd come across it in the USA.

No, Allen. Not likely to appear at my local wood seller anytime soon... What we would call "sassafras" here in America is actually a completely different tree and not related at all to the tree in Tasmania. When I was a kid, we used to go out into the woods and dig up sassafras roots and bring them home to make soda pop. We called it "sassparilla". Delicious. Do people still do that anymore? Doubt it. Anyway, a lovely uke well done Allen. Love the design elements.

Below description of Tasmanian Black Sassafras from the Wood Database:

Color/Appearance: Heartwood is naturally a gray to golden grown. Some trees are infected with a staining fungus which causes colorful streaks and veins of dark brown and black, giving rise to the common name Blackheart Sassafras. Sapwood is a pale yellow to whitish brown;

Grain/Texture: Grain is straight, with a uniform fine to medium texture. Low natural luster.

Endgrain: Diffuse-porous; sometimes exclusively solitary, or with radial multiples; small pores in no specific arrangement, numerous; parenchyma absent; narrow rays, spacing normal; colored heartwood fluoresces under blacklight.

Rot Resistance: Rated as non-durable to perishable.

Workability: Easy to work with both hand and machine tools. Responds well to steam-bending operations, with little spring-back. Turns, glues, stains, and finishes well.

I've had a few in these timbers requested over the last 6 months.
Exceptional. Suggest you make a batch of 10 or so. You'll most likely be getting a few more orders over the next 6 months.
Miguel

Beautiful!

I do love your heel cap Allen.

I must get my hand on some ancient spruce too!

Top Bottom