Crack/small hole on Kamaka

petey

Reaction score
Greetings!

I've inherited this old Kamaka and need help getting it back to shipshape condition. It has a fine crack running along soundboard and side. At what appears to be the start of the crack is a small hole. Is this something which is easily fixed? What would any if you experts say? Also, the bridge doesn't look 100% even...how bad is that? Thank you for your time and wisdom! Here's what I'm dealing with.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! How're these? First thing first it needs a cleaning. How bad is it?
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Easily depends how you define fixed. You could stabilize the crack in the top by clamping the crack closed and adding thin CA glue. It would still have the hole but that's Ok. To fix that hole would be more difficult....but certainly do-able. Someone would have to find a patch that matches the color and grain of the top and glue it in. Then probably refinish the top so it all matches
I don't see anything wrong with the bridge from the photos. If it plays well...I'd leave the bridge alone

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I was thinking about filling the crack myself but the little hole seems a little harder. Could I use some wood puddy or something? Or if I let the hole be could that cause any problems down the line? If I were to take it to professional in your experience what would the cost run on the kind of work you describe? As it is an old Kamaka I would love this thing up and strumming.

Or if I let the hole be could that cause any problems down the line?

No problems at all. ;)
WillieNelsonPlays.jpg

Could you give us some pics of the label in the sound hole and the tuning pegs? That would help ID the age which may help you determine how much true restoration you might want to do.

Ps a lightly damp cloth and a bit of spit can get most grunge off

Willie is an enigma. How could someone love an instrument like he obviously loves that old guitar, and at the same time beat it up so badly? I've never understood that. I think your Kamaka is worth restoring, not necessarily for the money value, but for the sentimental value. It apparently came from your family. Show it some love!

No problems at all. ;)

Please do not kid yourself or others into thinking Trigger hasn't had major work done to it to remain stable and playable in that condition.

"The article explains how the guitar has been maintained for the last 45 years thanks, in large part, to Austin repairman Mark Erlewine, who reconditions Trigger twice a year."

http://www.celebstoner.com/news/cel...7/the-story-of-willie-nelsons-guitar-trigger/

Or if I let the hole be could that cause any problems down the line?

Only a qualified luther can honestly answer that question after inspecting the instrument in person.

~good luck~

I wouldn't fill the hole with any type of filler......either a wood patch or leave it open

If you think this is a fix you can do yourself , go to Frets.com and you find lots of info on repair. I've fixed a hole in an old uke by putting it on my printer, making a copy and using that copy as a template for the patch. I used mahogany for the patch.

Top Bottom