What are some famous individual ukes?

UkieOkie

Reaction score
What are some famous individual Ukes? For example Willie Nelson has his famous guitar, "Trigger" with the hole worn into it. What are some famous actual ukes? Who or what made them famous?

Have fun.

Trevor

Last edited:
Bob Cuoco of Cincinnati has another one of Tiny Tim's sopranos, he brought it to UWC one year. It had been stolen and somehow Bob ended up buying it and then found out it was Tiny Tim's uke, at one point he met Tiny Tim and tried to give it back. Tim confirmed it was his, but Tim told him to keep it.

George Formby was known for playing Abbott and Ludwig banjo ukes, but it's hard to peg one specific uke to him. George kept several ukes on hand on different tunings for different songs. And despite having his name on a line of Dallas ukes, he rarely actually played one.

Scrub forward to 7 minutes, 8 seconds. :)

Those are very cool so far guys. Keep em coming.

I'll throw out Eddie Vedder's Uke "Clarence". Although it kinda got a head start by 1. Having a name inlaid into the top, and 2. Being owned and played by a rock icon.

What about the distinctive ukes of UU members?

Sukie's Flamingo Rosette MB for instance. Very beautiful and very disntinctive.

Even though he's gone through several tenors, the style of Jake's uke always stays very similar. I would say it's pretty iconic with the slotted headstock and "JS" on the fretboard.

And I really liked Iz's mahogany Martin.

Lyle Ritz's Ukes' should be renowned, most notably as a Ukulele player as part of the famous "Wrecking Crew".

Has anyone actually seen Roy Smeck playing a Vita Uke? I can't remember ever seeing a photo...

Here is an ad photo of him at least holding one. I'm certain finding video footage would be more difficult, but it may be out there...

ad1927vitauke.jpg

The Martin used by Cliff Edwards for the song "I did it with my little Ukulele" from the movie Take a Chance 1933:

<em>

And speaking of Martins, and Roy Smeck, when I think of Roy, I always think of him with his Martin.

What about Bette Midler's Swaravski encrusted Pineapple Flea?
image.jpg

What about the distinctive ukes of UU members?

Following that thought, this is a custom gloss black mandolele I had made that's kinda distinctive.

Mandolele chrome.jpg

Top Bottom