Altering string spacing at bridge

Chrisalis

Reaction score
Hi everyone -I am REALLY surprised to find very little info anywhere on this subject, so ANY input is welcome.
I have a Lanikai monkey pod tenor that I use as my main instrument when playing with our local uke orchestra: the instrument was bought as a slight second due to very slight damage to the back, which is now fixed.
I've played it for around 18 months and been aware of the defect I'm about to mention, but it hasn't really been a huge issue until now. I'm a guitar player, who started uke around two years ago, and stupidly assumed this problem was something I was doing "wrong".
I've just taken delivery of a custom built arch top tenor from a builder here in the UK and playing this has made me realise just how bad the fault is on my Lanikai.

It's this.

The strings at the bridge/saddle seem to be too far apart, as though the bridge has been fitted off centre ( it hasnt); the effect of this is for the top string to run off the fretboard anywhere higher than the fifth fret.
What I really believe needs doing is for the string holes on the bridge to be filled and redrilled to correct the spacing; it did occur to me to slot the ( bone) saddle to correct the spacing-I know this is frowned on by luthiers, but it seems a practical solution to the problem.

Your thoughts/alternative solutions are welcome.

If the string spacing is the problem, that's what you fix.
What is the spec on the spacing, and what is the spacing?

If the fretboard is too narrow, its a Lanikai, that's what you could expect. That fix would be more than the instrument is worth. Get rid of it - as in give it away to someone that is just starting, and only plays in the first position.

Last edited:
The easiest fix is to drill small holes vertically through the bridge behind the saddle, at the desired string spacings. About half way between saddle and back of bridge. Then feed string through, fish out through soundhole, tie on a bead, pull pack through, continue as normal.

If the string spacing is the problem, that's what you fix.
What is the spec on the spacing, and what is the spacing?

If the fretboard is too narrow, its a Lanikai, that's what you could expect. That fix would be more than the instrument is worth. Get rid of it - as in give it away to someone that is just starting, and only plays in the first position.

Thanks for reply - the spacing is the problem - NOT the neck (I have three Lanikais in the stable with no neck problems. I actually like a narrow neck. Spacing is Irregular - that seems to be the problem. I'll measure and respond later.

No intention of getting rid - its WAY too nice an instrument! (other than this irritation)

The easiest fix is to drill small holes vertically through the bridge behind the saddle, at the desired string spacings. About half way between saddle and back of bridge. Then feed string through, fish out through soundhole, tie on a bead, pull pack through, continue as normal.

Nice idea! - You don't reckon its worth plugging and redrilling the original holes? - Im not afeared of basic luthiery - a handy man with a Dremel!

Top Bottom