new york city

bt93

Reaction score
where can i get a new ukulele in new york city, other than guitar center, samash, and mannys. i am going there next week, and have finally decided to get a new uke, but i want to try them out while i am there
thanks-brad

other than those, youre going to have a hard time. Mannys is still youre best bet for trying them out, theyve got about 7 on the wall. Dont expect anything from the employees however, theyre all assholes. I say this because if you make the mistake of asking them where (insert uke here) is made, theyll tell you some bullshit about how its made on the moon. I hate them. I hate them all.

Samash has some, 3 I think.
GC has a few, mostly Mitchells though.

What id do, If I were you, is go to Mannys, try what they have out, and see if you like any. In the event you do, get it somewhere else.

you could try Rudy's (across the st from Mannys) but I dont think they have any.

I haven't found a decent uke store in NY. The guitar shops tend to carry just a few Kalas or Lanikais and maybe a thousand-dollar vintage Martin. There's no real selection to speak of. I do all my shopping online.

other than those, youre going to have a hard time. Mannys is still youre best bet for trying them out, theyve got about 7 on the wall. Dont expect anything from the employees however, theyre all assholes. I say this because if you make the mistake of asking them where (insert uke here) is made, theyll tell you some bullshit about how its made on the moon. I hate them. I hate them all.

Samash has some, 3 I think.
GC has a few, mostly Mitchells though.

What id do, If I were you, is go to Mannys, try what they have out, and see if you like any. In the event you do, get it somewhere else.

you could try Rudy's (across the st from Mannys) but I dont think they have any.

i went to mannys bought an oscarschmidt ou2e, and the pickup fellout and there was a huge chunk of wood inside the uke. they gave me a hard time and dirty looks about returning it, but i didnt care. i went to samash and they had absolutely nothing! i really need to find a good store there

Try Matt Umanoff on Bleeker street. They have a guy there, can't remember his name, who is big on Ukes. They have new Kamakas and lots of vintage. Mandolin Bros. on Staten Island is also good for Ukes.
Also East Side guitars has a few.

Try Matt Umanoff on Bleeker street. They have a guy there, can't remember his name, who is big on Ukes. They have new Kamakas and lots of vintage. Mandolin Bros. on Staten Island is also good for Ukes.
Also East Side guitars has a few.

are the ones at matt umanoff's reasonable? i dont want to spend over 300 on a uke

Mandolin Bros. on Staten Island has Flukes/Fleas as well as Kamakas.

East Village Music (3rd St. between Bowery and 2nd Ave.) has Kala, Mainland, and KoAloha, among others.

Other than that, New York really sucks if you're looking for ukes.

are the ones at matt umanoff's reasonable? i dont want to spend over 300 on a uke
No, they're pretty pricey, but they'll let you play a bunch of $1000 plus Ukes. East Village is the place you want to go for mid-priced axes. If you don't have a car, you can take the ferry and then a bus to Mandolin Bros.
I'm really surprised that NYC doesn't have a Uke shop.

Top Bottom