Gold label Kamaka Tenor- Rare model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernie

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Up for grabs is my Gold Label (60's?) Kamaka Koa tenor. This is the rare model with the Gumby headstock and pin bridge (my favorite Kamaka tenor design). 13 frets to the body (which I find to be the perfect compromise). A 14 fret join sometimes throws the balance off, but that 13th fret sure does come in handy. I've always wondered why more builders don't split the difference with a 13 fret-to-body join. I love it.

These vintage Kamakas are built lighter than their modern counterparts and are much better sounding to my ears. To each their own, but I like a light build. Plus, you know.... mo mojo. I've owned several Kamaka tenors over the years (all vintage), and this is the best one I've had.
It has it's share of finish wear, and a few scuffs and scratches, but no cracks. Someone etched their initials into the back of the headstock (as you can see in the pic).
There is a tiny separation at the waist, where the back meets one of the sides. It is not really noticeable, and is glued and secure. I don't know if this happened at the Kamaka factory, or later.

This tenor is a terrific player, and a piece of history, from the longest running Uke builders on the planet.

No case, but will be packed carefully.
$775 + actual shipping & insurance. Paypal gift preferred.
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 01FullinHand.jpg
    01FullinHand.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 02Butt.jpg
    02Butt.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 03Top.jpg
    03Top.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 04FrontBack.jpg
    04FrontBack.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 06HeadstockTuners.jpg
    06HeadstockTuners.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 107
thats a great price ernie... I have an even more rarer one, custom with a fast neck.. the only one Ive ever seen this way...

Matty, I'd love to put it in your hands. Good luck with your sale!
Stan- How many Kamaka's do you own??? 8^D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom