PDA

View Full Version : Koaloha ukulele

bt93
03-30-2009, 04:35 PM
anyone have a koaloha, in any size for approximately 300-330? i am desperate for this uke, but i don't want a really old model. i am only interested in something in good condition with no cracks or bad scratches. please contact me asap by sending me a pm or email at brad32593@yahoo.com
thanks, and any help is greatly appreciated
brad

bt93
04-20-2009, 03:07 PM
anyone there?

NukeDOC
04-20-2009, 03:14 PM
youre asking too much for too little. its going to be hard to find one in really good condition for that price limit.

bt93
04-20-2009, 03:19 PM
ok thanks nukedoc. i talked to the people at koaloha yesterday, and they said the blemished ones were starting at 340 so that is what i think i am going to do. by any chance do you know if the blemish ones are like broken and returned or just like small gluing issues?

grappler
04-20-2009, 03:42 PM
i think blemishes are just mainly wear and tear!
maybe some cracks but depends on the "blemish"

Dents and scratches are also part of blemishes but depending on how deep the crack is the cheaper it gets i guess??

good luck btw. let us know how you go

dominicfoundthemooon
04-20-2009, 05:34 PM
if you buy anything from the Koaloha people... it will be quality... they are good honest people... and do not sell junk.. so yeah.. if it says blemish.. that is what it means.. just a little mark here or there.. the sound should be 100%
d

experimentjon
04-20-2009, 05:46 PM
ok thanks nukedoc. i talked to the people at koaloha yesterday, and they said the blemished ones were starting at 340 so that is what i think i am going to do. by any chance do you know if the blemish ones are like broken and returned or just like small gluing issues?

If by blemish they mean factory seconds, there's pretty much nothing wrong with them at all. You can't even tell why they're seconds in most cases. It might be slightly off sanding that you can only tell at certain angles, or slightly crooked gluing on the bridge. But its usually very hard to detect. Not broken or anything.

haole
04-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Blemished instruments are usually perfectly good except for finish blobs, imperfect bookmatching, or some shop wear. It's totally worth it. Nothing should affect the playability or sound.

deach
04-21-2009, 07:24 AM
Blemished instruments are usually perfectly good except for finish blobs, imperfect bookmatching, or some shop wear. It's totally worth it. Nothing should affect the playability or sound.

You're going to end up with a scratch on it eventually. Minus well have the builder install them for you.

cpatch
04-21-2009, 07:34 AM
You're going to end up with a scratch on it eventually. Minus well have the builder install them for you.
Some well-known guitar manufacturers charge big bucks to install blemishes for you!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratRW603SB

deach
04-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Some well-known guitar manufacturers charge big bucks to install blemishes for you!

What a cool job. Instrument distresser.

UKISOCIETY
04-21-2009, 07:40 AM

Whose two-year-old do they employ?

GX9901
04-21-2009, 07:42 AM

Yeah, I never quite understood that one. And the example you've listed isn't even the "Heavy Relic" series that costs thousands of dollars. If I'm going to buy a used beat up instrument, I usually expect to pay used beat up prices. Maybe that's what the uke builders should do. Market their factory seconds as "Road Worn" or something by putting more dents and scratches on them and charge extra.:music:

Honu
04-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Are factory seconds or blemished ukuleles only available at the fActory or are there dealers that sell them?

deach
04-21-2009, 07:50 AM
Are factory seconds or blemished ukuleles only available at the fActory or are there dealers that sell them?

I've seen dealers selling blem'd Lanikais.

haole
04-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I never quite understood that one. And the example you've listed isn't even the "Heavy Relic" series that costs thousands of dollars. If I'm going to buy a used beat up instrument, I usually expect to pay used beat up prices. Maybe that's what the uke builders should do. Market their factory seconds as "Road Worn" or something by putting more dents and scratches on them and charge extra.:music:

Martin should install rusty tuners on their 5K reissues, and add a nasty top crack from the soundhole to the bridge. You know, to simulate the experience of finding an old one at a garage sale. Except they'd have to charge a $1000 premium for that. ;)

If anyone wants the relic treatment done to an instrument, I'll do it cheaper than the factory. I have a bag of doorknobs, some sandpaper, a cat who likes to spray, and relatives who smoke a lot. ;)

cpatch
04-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Whose two-year-old do they employ?
I think they use washed up rock stars (hence the overinflated price tags). Two-year-olds are less destructive.

Kaneohe til the end
04-21-2009, 08:39 PM

our seconds are only available at the shop, but call or email to see if we cant get you something.

when we say blemish, we usually mean the wood has a small imperfection, like a knot or something. or it could be something else like sand marks. when the bookmatching is "off", its actually only because the wood was cut and sanded from one big block, so the grain pattern will change slightly throughout the block. very rarely there will be a uke that got bumped after it was finished, same with bubbles in the spray. we'll never send out something that doesnt meet the standard.

deach
04-22-2009, 12:52 AM
our seconds are only available at the shop, but call or email to see if we cant get you something.

when we say blemish, we usually mean the wood has a small imperfection, like a knot or something. or it could be something else like sand marks. when the bookmatching is "off", its actually only because the wood was cut and sanded from one big block, so the grain pattern will change slightly throughout the block. very rarely there will be a uke that got bumped after it was finished, same with bubbles in the spray. we'll never send out something that doesnt meet the standard.

Can you do me a favor? When Papa Koaloha goes to lunch, can you add a sand mark to a tenor sceptre and give me a call when he sees it?

Mahalozzzzzzzzzzz

Honu
04-22-2009, 03:27 AM

Hey Kaneohe... I will be visiting Oahu this June... how often do you guys have blemish Ukes for sale. Do I just go and visit or do I have t make an appointment?

olokun82
04-22-2009, 04:05 AM
Can you do me a favor? When Papa Koaloha goes to lunch, can you add a sand mark to a tenor sceptre and give me a call when he sees it?

Mahalozzzzzzzzzzz

For real, me too!

erikro
04-23-2009, 02:15 AM
I emailed Koaloha. This was the response:

Hi Erik,

We have soprano's, long neck soprano's, concert, and a tenor available for purchase.

Feel free to contact me for any questions.

Aloha,

Brian K. Benavente
Journeyman,
Manager: Showroom/Tours

KoAloha Ukulele
744 Kohou St. Unit K
Honolulu, HI 96817
Tel: 808-847-4911
Fax: 808-847-1693
brian@koaloha.com
www.koaloha.com

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

dominicfoundthemooon
04-23-2009, 02:25 AM
I emailed Koaloha. This was the response:

Hi Erik,

We have soprano's, long neck soprano's, concert, and a tenor available for purchase.

Feel free to contact me for any questions.

Aloha,

Brian K. Benavente
Journeyman,
Manager: Showroom/Tours

KoAloha Ukulele
744 Kohou St. Unit K
Honolulu, HI 96817
Tel: 808-847-4911
Fax: 808-847-1693
brian@koaloha.com
www.koaloha.com

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

there customer service is the best.. tops.. aces.... brian is a nice guy..

Johnny Ukulele
04-28-2009, 04:20 PM
It would be more of an eye catcher if your header read "WTB" or "Wanted".
Just a friendly suggestion. :bowdown: