Favorite "Old-school" games

Crazy Climber is my favorite. That goes WAY back though.

These...

dragon05.jpg

tron.gif

118124212140.png

...just to name a few!

JJ

Last edited:
I'm old enough to remember when all the original arcade games were released. (For that matter I'm old enough to remember when Pong was the only arcade game around, other than pinball.) I'd have to say that Donkey Kong made one of the biggest impacts and is still a favorite.

I did some game development for the Atari home computer...anyone remember that?!

I wish I was old enough to remember the Atari systems (I had heard of the 2600, but I never owned one). I was a NES kid personally.

Not really that old school but Loved The Monkey Island Games...they were awesome

BattleZone! It ran on DOS on a 5 1/4 floppy disk. you can play a java version here
http://www.javagameplay.com/WarZone.html

It was one of the first true 3d fps but with vector graphics.
Battlezone was cool...I remember when it first came out in the arcades around 1980 it had a periscope-style viewer that you looked through to see the gameplay. So not only was it the first 3D video game, but also (in a sense at least) the first virtual reality game.

Super Marios Bros. Metroid, Paper Mario, Megaman. I think those are the only video games I ever finished unless you count Tetris which I got a humongaloid score but was almost 20 years ago so I forgot what it was.

Battlezone was cool...I remember when it first came out in the arcades around 1980 it had a periscope-style viewer that you looked through to see the gameplay. So not only was it the first 3D video game, but also (in a sense at least) the first virtual reality game.

That's cool it had a periscope! I never saw it in the arcades. I played it on my Rat Shack Tandy computer. :p

The newest gaming console I ever have owned was an Atari 2600. I never really saw the need to get anything newer. My favorite game of all time is Yar's Revenge. When I finally get my laptop fixed, I'm really looking forward to grabbing it in emulation.

That's what I did most of my development on!

Ah yes. I remember fiddling with various "pokes" in BASIC to switch graphics modes during the display interrupts, so you could have one mode for the top half, say, and another for the bottom. Or do that quintessential Atari "scrolling rainbow colors" thing.

We had line numbers and we liked it!

And our floppies were actually floppy.

Kids these days... :eek:ld:

JJ

Not really that old school but Loved The Monkey Island Games...they were awesome

I concur. My sister taught me to read on Monkey Island and Sam & Max when I was 3!

Oldest console I own myself is an N64... My cousins had a SNES and a friend of my parents had a Master System. Haven't played them for years and years. I have an original SMB3 for the NES but haven't got an NES! To be fair, I am very young and not that hardcore. I haven't even seen an Atari in person!

I've been getting into some of the old stuff on the Virtual Console and XBLA. Got some NES titles on the VC and I've been getting into DOOM on the 360. Good stuff!

I'm soooo happy to see other Monkey Island fans here :D Best series of games of all time in my humble opinion. I actually just today started working on a multitrack of the theme song for the reggae contest using guitar, uke, bass, and djembe... I really hope i do it justice :D

Top Bottom