Best place to buy a replacement saddle for Pono MTD?

johnson430

Reaction score
I have looked on Amazon on ebay but do not know which saddle I should buy.
It is for a Pono MTD.
Are they all the same size? I didn't think this would be so confusing.
Should I stick with bone or try a TUSQ or even ebony?
Thanks,
Johnson

I'm not sure who sells a Pono saddle per se. I guess some of the answer is based on what you want to do...

Change the sound, keep the sound but change string height, compensate for intonation.

There is gentleman, Ian Chadwick, who used to post here and he has a write-up on saddles.

http://www.ianchadwick.com/ukuleles/pickups.htm

If you want bone, the best source for a blank seems to be Bob Colosi, or you can have him make one that matches your current one. He caters to guitarists and is not cheap.

Synthetic saddles are easily found online or in local stores.

Wood it tricky. I have ebony saddles and they seem to work well, but I have never had any other material than wood (I have tired softer wood with interesting results). I would like to try bone but it would be a pretty complex undertaking, if you saw my saddles.

John

Last edited:
I would email Zach or Andrew at HMS I am sure they can help you.....:)

I use my local stringed instrument luthier who will make and fit a replacement ukulele bone saddle for about $10 when I'm getting a ukulele setup (about $30). To me that's a good deal when I consider shipping on anything I ordered online and the time I would have to spend sanding and shaping by hand. You might want to check out your local luthiers. They might even be willing to sell you the bone saddle stock and you could shape it yourself.

I'm not sure who sells a Pono saddle per se. I guess some of the answer is based on what you want to do...

John

John,

The action on my Pono MTD was lowered by the previous owner. I want to raise the action to the original position.

Thanks for the other information in your post.
Johnson

Top Bottom