Worth strings and other musings

Barrytone

Reaction score
I have a Martin So soprano uke to which I fitted Martin Fluorocarbon strings. They are responsive, bright and allow for bending while staying in tune. However I find them too shrill and a bit "clicky" for my, somewhat, heavy handed attack.
Does anyone have experience with Worth strings? I understand, from on-line reviews, they have a warmer tone.
cheers & keep on strumming.

I use Worths a lot ... Try Worth browns ... then try Worth Clears ... see how your uke and ears respond. The browns tend to be a bit warmer, and I really like the feel. Good luck!

Worth strings are fine, but I find them a bit "rough" or "sticky". I like Living Water strings, which are similar but smoother. Savarez are nice, too.
DUK

I have done the round robin of string experiments and keep going back to Martin's Fluorocarbons. I have a set of Ken Middleton's Living Water strings on order, and that will be the first time testing those out. However, they will really have to prove to be better as their cost compared to the Martin's are double than what I pay at my local dealer for the Martin's. Actually even more since the dealer routinely has a "buy 2 sets, get 1 set free" special. Just the same, I wanted to give the Living Waters a try since many have praised them.

Last edited:
If you're a bit heavy-handed, you might like some of the higher tention Worth sets. If you want brightness, try Clears. Warm, then Browns may do it. The designation for soprano/concert sets is "D" for higher tention Clears and (I think) "S" for what they call strong Browns. You can, as I have, get lost in their strange codes... But a "CD" or "BS" set should get you started. I've found the Clear Medium "CM" sets to have similar, lighter tention like the Martins.

Another brand to consider: PhDs. My favourite at the moment.

We all tend to have different string preferences, so don't expect a consensus...but I like Worth browns.

I've tried both Martins and Worth CMs on my KoAloha concert. To my ear, the Martins give a slightly mellower (or warmer) tone. Worth browns are warmer than the clears, but I haven't put the browns on the KoAloha yet.

Thanks for all the replies, certainly food for thought.

I have a Martin So soprano uke to which I fitted Martin Fluorocarbon strings. They are responsive, bright and allow for bending while staying in tune. However I find them too shrill and a bit "clicky" for my, somewhat, heavy handed attack.
Does anyone have experience with Worth strings? I understand, from on-line reviews, they have a warmer tone.
cheers & keep on strumming.

Hmmm, maybe try Kamaka black strings?

I have an SO with Aquila Nylgut on it. I think it sounds great. Just a nice old Martin/Favilla sound. If I changed the strings, I would put Worth Browns on it. Pretty much love those strings. But, I like a more mellow sound.

The Worth clears remind me of Martin fluorocarbons.

I've never tried the Living Waters strings, but I've got plenty of respect for Ken Middleton, so I may try those, generally, at some point.

I like to start out with Aquila Nylgut as a first set on a new uke. Then I have a idea of where to go from there. If it needs to brighten up, I go with Fluorocarbons and if it needs to mellow out, I go with Worth Browns.

Sometimes I stay with the Aquilas...like with my SO.

Good luck on the quest!

For clear fluorocarbons which sound bell-like, I can recommend Living Water Strings, I love them and have used them a lot, on all sizes of uke. I also love Worth Browns and currently have them on both my good sopranos. A lovely sound, just different. Don't be afraid to try both, it's interesting and enjoyable!

I really can't tell the difference between the fluoro strings I've tried, but I haven't tried them head to head with 2 identical ukes either. I've been liking using 2 wound bases and 2 flouro for my low G tenor, and all flouro on my high g. I recently got a Gibson soprano and put a set of regular Aquilla on and I think they suit it well. I remember back in the day when they were about the best you could get. The other 2 options were gut [which Aquilla still makes] or nylon [ it was thick] .

If you're on a soprano or concert, like Martins, and want to try Worth's, be sure to go with the lights (CL or BL) not the mediums.

Top Bottom