Madonna plays a Mitchell uke?

Captain Simian

Reaction score
Does that look like a Mitchell to anyone else? If it is that surprises me for some reason. I figured with her money she would play something more high end. Good song that has never occurred to me to learn to play until now.

Well from their website it does look like a MU100CE, but it is hard to tell from the video.

Added: There is another video that has a better view and it appears to be one.

John

Does that look like a Mitchell to anyone else? If it is that surprises me for some reason. I figured with her money she would play something more high end. Good song that has never occurred to me to learn to play until now.

im guessing she doesn't need anything high end it sounds pretty damn good as it is right there. Never knew she even played an actual instrument sounds pretty good and she looks great for her age.

maybe she's playing air ukulele and the guy on the right is doing all the work...

Believe it or not, Madonna does know how to play guitar so uke shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Believe it or not, Madonna does know how to play guitar so uke shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

i wonder if thats the same guy in both videos playing guitar with her and than uke. seems like she can play decently but doesn't feel comfortable playing it completely alone which is funny coming from a lady who once wore pointy pasties on live tv :p

A good friend of mine plays a Mitchell, plugged in, it sounds about as good as everything else. I identify with Madonna, I don't care who sees me half naked, but playing the uke in front of people gives me the hee bee jee bees.

It's funny this is coming up. I played one of these at a local guitar center the other day, and absolutely loved the way it sounds. Probably the thing that is keeping me from buying it is the generally negative opinion I have heard about Mitchell, and laminates generally from this board.

the generally negative opinion I have heard about Mitchell, and laminates generally from this board.
Dunno about Mitchell, but regarding the laminates I think it became a lot better than it used to be. Laminate as such doesn't need to be a bad thing, some manufacturers (like e.g. Ohana) actually put a lot of effort in producing good laminates.
As always with ukes, it depends.....

A good friend of mine plays a Mitchell, plugged in, it sounds about as good as everything else.

I think about anything, plugged in is going to sound about the same, especially using an under saddle pickup.

I wonder if those are Mitchell guitars too? Maybe Mitchell sponsors her.

It never occurred to me to play with half gloves and huge black leather boots, I'll have to give that a try...:shaka:

i wonder if thats the same guy in both videos playing guitar with her and than uke. seems like she can play decently but doesn't feel comfortable playing it completely alone which is funny coming from a lady who once wore pointy pasties on live tv :p

Doesn't look like it was plugged in, so maybe she just wanted some backup for volume?

The second uke I owned was a Mitchell 70-series concert. Didn't like it (sounded very dull), and ended up getting almost what I paid for it by selling on eBay. It was pretty, though ...

Doesn't look like it was plugged in, so maybe she just wanted some backup for volume?

I originally thought that, but at :24 it does look like something is plugged in, maybe a wireless, mounted to the back of the uke. I don't know if Mitchell uses an endpin jack or one of the lower bout.

John

They've got their ukes tuned down a half step, so the shapes are in C but she's singing in B. Yet, what are they doing on the F chord?

It's funny this is coming up. I played one of these at a local guitar center the other day, and absolutely loved the way it sounds. Probably the thing that is keeping me from buying it is the generally negative opinion I have heard about Mitchell, and laminates generally from this board.

My first uke was a Mitchell MU70. I loved it. It sounded the best to me out of all the ukes at the music store at the time. Fremont Blacklines gave it a clear sparkly tone when picked. Strummed, it was a little muddy, but not too bad. It was a tank weight wise, and I probably could have used it to club someone without it getting dented. I donated it to my children's elementary music program when UAS hit, and I accumulated nicer ukes. I've since tried out other people's Mitchells at uke gatherings. Some sound dead. It's definitely one of the brands I would not buy unless I had a chance to play the instrument I was getting first.

Last edited:
maybe she's playing air ukulele and the guy on the right is doing all the work...

LOL, you mean like she's MIMICKING the 'perfomance'?

Well, it's typical for performers in this style of music to lip-sync the ENTIRE performance, as well as the rest of the band mime their playing while a recording of the song is what actually gets blasted out the PA.

I'm not fabricating this, MANY of them have admitted it in interviews, (e.g. Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Janet jackson, Miley Cyrus, Rihannaa, etc), and they 'claim' that all the vigorous dance gyrations make it nearly impossible to sing while doing wild aerobic dance moves - that head-worn mic? yeah, that's a prop.

Seen it IN-PERSON many times myself back in the 80's and 90's at various shows.

So I'd really doubt she actually PLAYS the instrument in concert, but that does not answer if she CAN play an instrument for real.

That question in unanswered.

Top Bottom