Ohana equivalent of OXK?

The OXK is made from synthetic materials (basically a special version of Formica). I don't think Ohana uses any synthetics, so they probably don't have anything comparable.

Scooter

OXK is a very unique ukulele. No one copies it. You probably need to narrow down your question.

Well, the design of making instruments from HPL is patented and I believe Martin has an exclusive licensing deal with the patent holder.

So your best bet is to either save up for a new one, or search eBay, Craigslist and the myriad forums for a used one.

Probably the next closest thing would be a bare bones soprano Flea.

Scooter

Or if they could make a Tenor/Baritone sized OXK...

The price point is pretty universal. But, I bought mine on Black Friday with a store-wide percent off coupon. Black Friday can also wrap around to Cyber Monday etc. in the States and that time frame is around the last Thursday to the last Monday in November.

Some vendors show the OXK at the manufacturers suggested list price and then mark it down to $279. Some just start at that price or call it a special purchase, So, a percentage off coupon may not be applicable on the OXK with every vendor even if they offer one.

The holiday season is a good time to pick up any ukulele or ukulele related item because of special deals or bundles - except for the fact that the intent is that you are buying gifts for others :)

Last edited:
Considering the quality of the OXK I don't think it's unreasonably priced. Yes its more expensive than a lot of other laminates but it's also a cut above all the other laminates I've played (I haven't handled a kiwaya/famous). I did get mine gently used for a good price. It's not totally a tank. My kids managed to split the binding on mine, although after I repaired it you can't tell it happened. It mostly sits in a hard case in the closet now.

Places like Sweetwater, Musicians Friends, Alto Music, and others who are Martin dealers all offer some sort of 0% financing if you want to spend your purchase out over time and not paying any extra in interest.

Sweetwater has 24 months 0% financing and I believe they still will price match lower advertised prices too. I bought a '59 Reissue Gibson Les Paul that way from Sweetwater a few years back.
If they will sell it to you for $279.00 that's only $11.63 a month with their free 24 month financing. Food for thought....

Top Bottom