PDA

View Full Version : newbie

ukukulele
03-31-2009, 10:18 AM
hi everyone, i am mike from england, i would like to learn the ukulele, i have not bought one yet am just at the looking into stage, couple of questions, now remember i am a coomplete beginner, and dont play any other instruments, first do i need to be able to read music, as i cant, is it like guitar chords where you need to know were to place the fingers, also i am a lefthander, is the ukulele available in left and right handed versions like guitars, sorry if i sound like a total novice, but its what i am.:confused:
thanks for any help:anyone:

UKISOCIETY
03-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Go here and read up. (http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11346&highlight=beginners) Welcome to teh UU!

upskydowncloud
03-31-2009, 11:28 AM
hi everyone, i am mike from england, i would like to learn the ukulele, i have not bought one yet am just at the looking into stage, couple of questions, now remember i am a coomplete beginner, and dont play any other instruments, first do i need to be able to read music, as i cant, is it like guitar chords where you need to know were to place the fingers, also i am a lefthander, is the ukulele available in left and right handed versions like guitars, sorry if i sound like a total novice, but its what i am.:confused:
thanks for any help:anyone:

Hi welcome to the forum.

To answer your questions no you don't need to be able to read music! Most ukulele music on the internet is in tabulature which is very easy to learn and basically tells you which notes to play on which strings.

I too am left-handed, I play my uke in the right handed way. Pretty much all ukes are capable of being left/right handed, you just change the position of the strings.

Where are you in the UK? There are a few of us here in England, Wales and Ireland.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kanaka916
03-31-2009, 11:38 AM
I just updated the previously linked thread with some new links . . . hopefully beneficial to the noobs.

ukantor
03-31-2009, 12:10 PM
England calling - Hi Ukukulelele, Yup just like the guitar, except you've got four strings, one for each finger. It's much more logical.

Much has been written about whether left handed people need to play "mirror image" or whatever. Only you can decide what is best for you, but don't automatically think, "I'm left handed, therefore I must play the uke the other way round". Many left handers play the standard way. Both hands have a job to do, in co-operation with each other. So if you CAN play the sandard way, there are many advantages.

There are many ukers in the UK, and a growing number of clubs. It is not difficult to link up with like minded strummers and pickers - depends where in England you are. Are you are lucky enough to live near Kidderminster, Birmingham, Cheltenham, Swindon, Taunton, or near one of the regular London gatherings? There are others, but those sprang to mind.

Enjoy your uking,

Ukantor.

buddhuu
03-31-2009, 01:53 PM
Hi Mike,

Welcome to UU.

England here too (Hertfordshire). :)

ukukulele
04-01-2009, 06:29 AM
hi, everyone, thanks for the welcome, i am in the the north east of england, just outside of middlesbrough, no doubt there will be very few or no other uke players in my area, be great if there was, as i am still in the research part of looking into the ukulele, i looked on youtube to see if any of my favourite artists or songs were played with uke, one of my all time faves is there, Enlish Rose by the jam, with a lovely old video of england in the 50s and 60s, and whoever it is plays the song excellent.