chords and strumming patterns

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Ive been learning quite a few chords over the last month and i have picked up a good few major chords (A, C, G, F, E) etc etc and i have been practicing strumming patterns (down, down, down down) (down up, down up, down up down up) and there was another 3 i have been playing too.
What should i been doing next? whats the next normal route to go from here?

Cheers,

Lee

if you're primarily a strummer/singer, I'd suggest get some songbooks and have at them.
the Holiday Season is just starting up... a good time to get some Holiday favorites under
your belt. Send me a PM with your email address, and I will forward you a Holiday pdf.
[that goes for any of you fellow UUers out there :) just remember they are copyrighted
music so do not indiscriminately broadcast them. I'm sharing it with you for your own
personal use and education]

I'm sure others will chime in if you also want to head into finger-picking (unfortunately not
my forte).

meanwhile, keep uke'in',

Hey Lee!
Congrats on starting to play the ukulele! If I could give you some advise... Learning chords and strumming patterns is a great way to learn songs, with that said I would recommend next going into scales and finger picking and understanding theory for the ukulele. Also I'm not sure if you've learned only major chords, but there is a bunch of minor chords that will expand your playing and your ear for music. But then again I think a little theory will help you to understand what is happening with music and not just learning chords... I have just put out a book for players that are at your skill level called "Beginning Ukulele" and the first lesson is available for free [PROMOTIONAL LINK REMOVED BY MOD]. Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Everyone,

Ive been learning quite a few chords over the last month and i have picked up a good few major chords (A, C, G, F, E) etc etc and i have been practicing strumming patterns (down, down, down down) (down up, down up, down up down up) and there was another 3 i have been playing too.
What should i been doing next? whats the next normal route to go from here?

Cheers,

Lee

Check out Reference sticky at the top of this forum and down load Uncle Rods boot camp and Howling Hobbits Chord progressions. HH's chord progressions will teach you some interesting chords and some I-IV-V ish theory. You can practice your strums and the chord progressions and it sounds like music! You'll find a lot of songs using the same progressions in the other songbooks listed.

Also you can read the Uke for Nubs sticky which give you some into to Uke Theory.

Last edited:
Top Bottom