Is this a misprint?

whistleman123

Reaction score
Is this a misprint. No matter how many times i play it, it sounds terrible!
What do you think they meant?

This is out of "I'll be home for Christmas". It is the end of the "where the love light gleams" phrase.

Original key was C major. I transposed down to to Bb. You can see what I substituted, but I'd love to know what the arranger wanted!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 133
Well the minor-major7 is a strange sounding chord but it's entirely possible that was the intent. But if you don't like it, there is no law that says you have follow what's on the page.

You've lost me. I like the Dm (Maj 7) chord in that spot (as voiced in the original version you show). You may think it's dissonant, but sounds good to me. I'm wondering how you came to a G7, transposing it down a whole step. Why not just play the 4333 chord (just like the orig, but down a step)? If you don't like the half step and the Tri-tone in the Cm(maj 7), maybe just barre the third fret and play the Cm7.

A sixth chord is another instance of a chord that is part major and part minor.

OP here. I just happened to think of something. Could it sound too dissonant because I have my uke strung with a low G?

OP here. I just happened to think of something. Could it sound too dissonant because I have my uke strung with a low G?

No, that's not it. It's just a little beyond your appreciation of dissonance. That's all. Lower the 7th (as I suggested in previous post) and you'll eliminate what your ear hears as harshness. It's still jazzy, but more "smooth" jazz.

whistleman123, I am a little late to the game here, but I like that piece and have transcribed a lead sheet. (modeled after the ipad mini commercial back in 2012?)
If you want, I can email that to you. I have it in the key of G.
Musescore lets me transcribe into any key.
When I transpose it to C, I see a Dm chord (2210) on the word 'gleams'
When I transpose it into Bb, I see a Cm chord (0333) on the word 'gleams'

Some of this might be from a different arrangement. Maybe more chords in your version. Mine has one chord for the entire word.
Any chance I could see a larger pic of the score?

Last edited:
Top Bottom