Aquila Red singles

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
Why doesn't Aquila make single besides a low G. Just tried another set of tenor Aquila Reds. First set about two years ago went on my Pono. I liked them but 2 weeks into playing, I opened my case and A string was broken. No reason. I had case humidified. I wait a good while, read the reviews and recently ordered a set for my Fluke Tenor. They sound good on this ukulele but on initial stringing - the A string broke as I carefully would string on my Peghed tuners. I pre stretched. Bummer.

Now I have a partial set on my Fluke, and local dealer only had Concert in stock. Besides that, I don't really want to buy a full set to get one A string.

With breakage problems....... looking like they still exist........ why doesn't Aquila off singles in a strings. I'd pay a couple of bucks for a new A just so I didn't have to buy a full set. Nothing I've tried to match up sound good with what is left of this set!

Just a thought. I like the sound!

Good idea M3. I have a set of Aquila reds on a Famous FS-1G and really like them. First time I have tried them out. I like the feel of them on my fingers; they feel gritty and sound good. Knock on wood, I haven't had any of them break yet.

I'm hooked on those Aquila Reds. I have them on my KoAlohas (concert and tenor) and my concert Flea. No breakage problems. I love the sound they produce and I dig the crazy texture. A friend of mine said they look like they are made by Twizzler!

Why dont you send a PM to Mimmo, the CEO, Founder and Lead Engineer of Aquila Corde (the string company). He is a member here on UU and has participated in many threads since I've been here.

He invites feedback and loves to talk with us, but he's not been around for a while. I guess running the company does not leave him lots of free time. :)

I'd say they should either correct the problems or stop selling them. When I tried them, I liked them a lot, mine snapped on whatever uke I tried them on. Mimo was kind enough to replace them, but those broke as well. Selling singles is fine, but I'm not about to buy 6 or 7 strings in the hopes 4 will work.

I gave up, to bad, they do sound nice.

My understanding is they aren't replacing string as they warn there is a pre stretch required before putting them on. Given that, I would buy a single if they offered them and take my chances. Thing is, I have three on my Fluke, they sound good............ so I want the fourth bud don't want to buy a new set.

Good idea Booli ...how do I look up Mimo. I've only PM's when someone replied to a thread.

Hammer40........ I kept reading that the RED's had fixed the breakage problem. I was simply tuning A string with peghed on my Fluke and it snapped that the pedhed. Weird. You'd think they would find a way to reduce breakage this far into life of product,.

By the way , good write up on Aquila in last issue of Ukulele Magazine. Maybe I will get luck and Mimo will read this thread.

I've had too much breakage with the red and string boom too. I've switched to wound Cs and Gs.

I like Aquilas fine, but I'm thinking of changing to somethin' else. I don't mind wound strings though. :eek:ld:

Good idea Booli ...how do I look up Mimo. I've only PM's when someone replied to a thread.

At the VERY top of EVERY page on the forum is a link NOTIFICATONS

click it, drop down items will show INBOX

click it, you will be taken to your INBOX

on the left column where it says MESSAGES, is another link SEND NEW MESSAGE

click it, compose message page will load

in the box RECIPIENT USERS, start typing the UU username you want to send to, or at least the 1st 3 letters, and a list will appear with names that match, in this case you type in mimmo, and when the yellow box appears, with this name in it, hit enter to select it

write you message as normal.

Hammer40........ I kept reading that the RED's had fixed the breakage problem. I was simply tuning A string with peghed on my Fluke and it snapped that the pedhed. Weird. You'd think they would find a way to reduce breakage this far into life of product.

I read the same, and Mimo sent me the very latest, but they still snapped. Different instruments, different strings, the G and the A.

I'm prototyping ukes right now and have tried all sorts of strings, including the Reds. I snapped a couple while on the learning curve, but none since. You need a very smooth nut slot and nicely rounded edges on the sting holes in the bridge. You also need to pre-stretch as you tighten (there a video that demonstrates this clearly somewhere). In other words, you can't string-up any old uke without doing some prep and learning a bit. All of this applies particularly to the A string (which makes sense due to the diameter and tension).

In other words, they work if you take the time and they sound pretty good too. I do fully agree that they ought to be available as singles, however.

How timely!
My A string just popped while my uke was just sitting there. I think I last changed the strings about two month ago and I've been playing it sparingly.
In fact I think I changed the strings because the A string popped and now here we go again!
Quite annoying.

Yes, singles please!
Reminds me of my guitar days when I'd pop E strings all the time.

Thanks Booli . I sent Mimmo a message about making single available thru dealers.

I'm prototyping ukes right now and have tried all sorts of strings, including the Reds. I snapped a couple while on the learning curve, but none since. You need a very smooth nut slot and nicely rounded edges on the sting holes in the bridge. You also need to pre-stretch as you tighten (there a video that demonstrates this clearly somewhere). In other words, you can't string-up any old uke without doing some prep and learning a bit. All of this applies particularly to the A string (which makes sense due to the diameter and tension).

In other words, they work if you take the time and they sound pretty good too. I do fully agree that they ought to be available as singles, however.

I did my homework on these strings, I watched Mimmo's video, and did exactly as he demonstrates, I had 4 sets all with a string snapping, and on three different ukes. Three A and one G string, on a Pono, Compass Rose, and a Boat Paddle.

I guess my "any old ukes" that have had professional set ups just don't cut it for the Aquilla string company. Heck, my Boat Paddle uke doesn't even have nut slots and that didn't seem to make any difference, so I guess that theory is useless. I guess it just seems that many of us just don't "take the time" when mounting strings. Good thing every other string manufacturer out there makes strings for us to use.

I did my homework on these strings, I watched Mimmo's video, and did exactly as he demonstrates, I had 4 sets all with a string snapping, and on three different ukes. Three A and one G string, on a Pono, Compass Rose, and a Boat Paddle.

I guess my "any old ukes" that have had professional set ups just don't cut it for the Aquilla string company. Heck, my Boat Paddle uke doesn't even have nut slots and that didn't seem to make any difference, so I guess that theory is useless. I guess it just seems that many of us just don't "take the time" when mounting strings. Good thing every other string manufacturer out there makes strings for us to use.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that anyone was doing anything wrong, or not doing their homework -- just relating my own experience. Some folks seem to have consistent problems with these strings, while others don't. I know that there are at least two versions out there -- perhaps more. It's also possible that there is some batch inconsistency. In addition to the prototypes I have a Pono that was set-up by HMS -- a very good professional setup. Still, the nut slot edges and bridge holes were a tad too sharp for Reds -- and only Reds. I've had probably five different brands on the Pono and the only ones that snapped were the Reds (until after some rounding and smoothing).

And that brings to mind a question: For those of you who've had them snap, where did the break occur? I had one let loose at the bridge and one at the nut. Anyone had one that broke in the middle, or at the tuning peg? It seems that there are a number of us who like them and want to use them, so it makes sense to try and figure out how to adjust to their peculiar tendencies.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that anyone was doing anything wrong, or not doing their homework -- just relating my own experience. Some folks seem to have consistent problems with these strings, while others don't. I know that there are at least two versions out there -- perhaps more. It's also possible that there is some batch inconsistency. In addition to the prototypes I have a Pono that was set-up by HMS -- a very good professional setup. Still, the nut slot edges and bridge holes were a tad too sharp for Reds -- and only Reds. I've had probably five different brands on the Pono and the only ones that snapped were the Reds (until after some rounding and smoothing).

And that brings to mind a question: For those of you who've had them snap, where did the break occur? I had one let loose at the bridge and one at the nut. Anyone had one that broke in the middle, or at the tuning peg? It seems that there are a number of us who like them and want to use them, so it makes sense to try and figure out how to adjust to their peculiar tendencies.

On the BP, it snapped between the nut and the tuning peg. No nut slots on the BP, so that was odd. The Pono was after the saddle between it and the tie block, the two on the CR were at the knot you tie for the slotted bridge. I initially thought it was a rough slot, but did round it and smooth it, the next string again snapped somewhere near the knot.

I've had the A string snap on a tenor, but I also have them on my wife's concert and they have been on there a long time. It doesn't get played much, but like others I've had a string snap while the uke was sitting in the case. It was a tenor.

Are the problems primarily with tenors?

John

The recent one I tried on Fluke was at the pegheds while tuning up. On my Pono i found string broken after a few days or perhaps a week when I opened my case. Tha one broke after the saddle....I think.

Given all the info and threads about these, why in the world would anyone continue to buy the damn things?? Especially when there are so many other choices.

Given all the info and threads about these, why in the world would anyone continue to buy the damn things?? Especially when there are so many other choices.

Now that is a perfectly legitimate, logical question and you are right to ask it. The problem is one of context. You see, here on UU, many of us are in pursuit of something, even though we sometimes don't know what it is. Have you heard of UAS? Many on this forum (perhaps the majority) are afflicted with it. Searching for the ideal combination of oddball strings from all over the planet is a subset of UAS, partly because it's so much cheaper. Less common, but still prevalent, is the hunt for the perfect tuning machine, with the perfect gearing, weight, overall appearance and color.

The thing about Aquila Reds is that they are odd. They feel, look and sound different from most of the rest of the batch. That alone qualifies them for several threads on the forum. The fact that they are problematic makes for good posting and reading, you see. Without things like Aquila Reds there is a danger that we will -- someday and for some length of time -- run out of things to post about. One can only supply so many NUD posts prior to bankruptcy, and as diverse as the uke-verse is there are only so many products and accessories to buy and talk about (well, I mean "post" about).

What you are also failing to consider here is that the alternative to purchasing and posting is practicing -- actually playing music on these things. And, I ask you, where would we be if everyone started doing that?!!! It would be pretty quiet around here...

Hello guys
Mimmo Here
Unfortunately I have just a few spare time for visit this forum so my answer maybe is a bit late...
well, unfortunatey there are still around some red series of the first batch....
with the second batch things are much more better. This is my impression till now.
Please let me able to fix your problem.
so The Flate Tire, Hammer 40 etc can you send me a UU with your adress, instrukjen type and which string has the problem?
same for some other of you in this threat. ok?
You see: I am very curious to see if with the new batch things are better. Since now I hhad a very few complaints.
Due to the fact that these strings broken on your ukes I can see if things were really improved
Sorry for all these problem guys: i am here however.
Mimmo

Top Bottom