Anybody have a Kala KA-15S

scathontiphat

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a cheap ukulele to bring with me traveling. Just wondering if anyone out there has, or has played one of these and if they are a half way decent instrument. I'm obviously not looking for anything fancy, but I'm suspicious when buying instruments at this price point in fear that I'm buying something that plays/sounds more like a toy than a real instrument.

thanks!

I googled it, and noticed that MusicGuyMike has these on fleabay. He's a frequent poster here, and has a good reputation. Look at his ebay store -- perfect feedback and tons of sales.

He sets up most or all of his ukes with Aquila strings...and that's a good upgrade. If you aren't waling into a store and buyig locally, then I'd go with somebody on here as opposed to a big company.

BTW:I have no complaints with my Kala baritone. Pretty sound, excellent looking, stays in tune.

Yeah, i saw them at his ebay store, which drew my interest. I've purchase from him in the past, and thought i'd see what cheap models he has. But then couldn't find much information on this model on the internets. Hence coming here to ask :)

I could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure if you ask him, MGM will post a video of him playing the exact ukulele you are asking about so you can get a better feel of it...

I had one. It's a decent instrument for the price. You wouldn't mistake it for a solid wood uke, but it had reasonably good intonation and it could be quite loud with the right strings. I believe the KA-15S is basically the same as the KA-S except for cosmetic differences, so you may want to search for videos of either model.

Well I have a KA-15s and I'm pretty satisfied. I got it from MGM and I can't complain. It's pretty reliable for it's price range and it sounds good to me. Then again I'm just a beginner but I'm happy with the uke

I have a KA-15S and i purchased it for the same reasons as you. I got mine from ukerepublic and I payed $50 with aquilas. It sounds GREAT for $50. It's not my MELE but for hiking trips and carrying around in the saddlebags, you can not go wrong.

SailQwest, I'm afraid of the flea being smashed/broken/stolen. I'm going to be backpacking around the world, and i just don't want to take that chance with an instrument that 1) I like so much, and 2) cost me a decent amount of coin. I figure with a $50 uke i won't cry too much when something inevitably happens to it :p

SailQwest, I'm afraid of the flea being smashed/broken/stolen. I'm going to be backpacking around the world, and i just don't want to take that chance with an instrument that 1) I like so much, and 2) cost me a decent amount of coin. I figure with a $50 uke i won't cry too much when something inevitably happens to it :p

I am hiking the Georgia portion of the Appalachian Trail next week for my spring break (that's the plan anyways) I bought my Kala K-15S just for this reason. I will also be doing some trout fishing in local streams so I'll let you know how it holds up for my short trip. I am not using a gig bag or case. I am putting an extra outfit around it and then strapping it in the pack. If something happens to it I'll be crushed since I have grown to enjoy playing my soprano (which I thought I would never enjoy) and I'd hate to lose $50.

The Kala KA-15S was the first uke I bought. I got it from MGM so the frets had been smoothed and Aquila strings installed.

I was happy with that uke. I have since bought several more ukes after discovering how much fun they are to play, but I kept the Kala uke at work to play during breaks. That uke got better with age. After 9 monthes of use it played and sounded better than when it was new!

I recenty passed that one on to my niece, hoping to spark an interest in her. She's 12 yrs old. (And it seems to be working. She called and told me how cool it was to have it) :)

So I say yes, it's a good uke for the money, and you won't cry TOO much if it falls in the campfire. Go for it!

Top Bottom